Urban decay in the UK

Examples of social decline, especially in the UK

Re: Urban decay in the UK

Postby Michael » 13 Jul 2012, 15:25

Those photographs are amazing - haunting, even. Most of them are of buildings that must have been quite beautiful when they were built, or even a few decades ago. Now they are just ruins. I can't help but remember Gibbon's portrait of the ignorant Romans of the 14th century, living among fallen columns and walls that appeared to them as just parts of the landscape but were in fact the remnants of a time when their city ruled much of the world.

Perhaps we in the West will see another Renaissance before too long, when we go around and notice these beautiful structures left to us by the past and restore them to their former glory.
Michael

Postby Gavin » 13 Jul 2012, 20:56

I hope so, Michael. Perhaps in the same sweep they can destroy these monstrosities!
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Elliott » 09 Aug 2012, 00:40

Here is what scum think of achievement.
Elliott

Postby Elliott » 21 Aug 2014, 21:46

Gavin wrote:Camden Town is fashionable too - I used to live there and can confirm that that is a dump also (it is where Amy Winehouse chose to live and where she died).

Camden is to get a life-sized bronze statue of Miss Winehouse.

Here is what a gay arty friend of mine wrote on Facebook:
I am thrilled that this absolutely stunning sculpture shall be erected in Camden. Let's face it, Ms. Amy Winehouse was/is a cut above. For art to be honoured in this way humbles me as an Artist and delights me at how much sense it makes for London (away from the commercial rubric of 'entertainment'). Politicians might 'save the economy', Generals 'win' wars, but Artists - and ones such as Amy - 'win' people's soul and speak to a generation in a universal tone that will reverberate forever. Well Done Camden! x

I don't think it's even a very good sculpture. It's not even accurate, lacking her trademark tattoos.
Elliott

Postby Paul » 22 Aug 2014, 02:21

Surely someone will soon graffiti them on?
Paul

Postby Elliott » 22 Aug 2014, 03:22

Paul wrote:Surely someone will soon graffiti them on?

It would be a worthy prompt for our first forum meet-up, IMHO.
Elliott

Postby Kevin R » 22 Aug 2014, 13:28

Elliott wrote:
Gavin wrote:Camden Town is fashionable too - I used to live there and can confirm that that is a dump also (it is where Amy Winehouse chose to live and where she died).

Camden is to get a life-sized bronze statue of Miss Winehouse.

Here is what a gay arty friend of mine wrote on Facebook:
I am thrilled that this absolutely stunning sculpture shall be erected in Camden. Let's face it, Ms. Amy Winehouse was/is a cut above. For art to be honoured in this way humbles me as an Artist and delights me at how much sense it makes for London (away from the commercial rubric of 'entertainment'). Politicians might 'save the economy', Generals 'win' wars, but Artists - and ones such as Amy - 'win' people's soul and speak to a generation in a universal tone that will reverberate forever. Well Done Camden! x

I don't think it's even a very good sculpture. It's not even accurate, lacking her trademark tattoos.

Such breathless and sophomorphic praise, but like the singer herself, I think she confuses the sacred and the profane, whilst at the same time having a proper understanding of neither.

Here's a sculpture that suggests the idea. Hacked, refined, and polished from a solid block of marble by Bernini when he was just 24 years of age, and so refined that even Daphne's toes are turning into delicate tendrils and leaves before the pursuing Apollo's amazed eyes.
Attachments
daphne and apollo.jpg
Kevin R

Postby Kevin R » 22 Aug 2014, 13:35

Incidentally, it seems that Bernini's sculpture was used on some album-cover of one singer 'Lady Gaga' (oh the impressive use of irony) a chanteuse sharing a rather similar modus vivendi to Miss Whinehouse..
Kevin R

Previous

Return to Social Decay