Why do people get piercings?

Examples of social decline, especially in the UK

Re: Why do people get piercings?

Postby Paul » 25 Jan 2013, 04:19

I got an e-mail earlier but I don't have the know-how to reproduce the pictures here.

There were several pictures of a man's lower leg, upon which was tattooed a depiction of a woman, provacatively dressed in underwear and suspenders and .... a cowboy hat. I think she also wore a belt upon which was contained a knife - or a gun.

This chap was having a second procedure for his 'woman'. She was having 'breast implants', which involved him having those lumps inserted under his skin in the two relevant areas of his leg to give the desired 'enhancement'.

It's to be hoped he doesn't play football, or even worse - cricket, because I can see that hurting him quite a bit.

The chap in that previous post of yours is a madman surely? Is not that huge ring through his nose just asking for a chain to be passed through it?
Paul

Postby Gavin » 23 Mar 2014, 20:23

Here in Birmingham (as we know, where TD used to work), almost all of the young indigenous English one sees in the city centre have piercings and tattoos, so many that I am able to spot trends. Tattoos on the neck are favoured, and those just behind and below the ear. They are usually horrible spiky symbols accompanying a shaven head. As TD has often noted, these people deliberately want to look like convicts - I think this is because they respect criminals, they know others do too, and they wish to appear aggressive and threatening.

But with regard to piercings, one fad I have noticed among teenagers is that they have taken to embedding clusters of studs in their pastey faces. These are usually around the mouth, so they look exactly like a kind of outbreak of steel warts, some kind of mouth disease. They look utterly, utterly hideous. The teenagers will often insert them in their eyebrows too, or in a row right along their mouths - a group of four or five studs.

What can explain this anthropological behaviour? Well, one stud (usually found defacing a nose) is clearly not enough. I think it is a pathetic attempt to show the "wearer" can go "on further" and "take more pain", is even less concerned about offending others, etc.

But it looks so ugly. I can't understand even how their contemporaries could ever find such hideousness attractive, nor how so many people in the west are now so keen to ape the behaviour of primitive savages. It's pitiful - shameful. I will try to get some photos, but again - although these people of course want to attract attention to themselves, they can turn hostile if they actually receive explicit attention.

It has crossed my mind to say something like "Nice tats" or "Love your piercings - do you mind if I photograph them" in order to get a shot - I might try that, but I would rather not talk to them, even less look at them, and you can probably visualise the hideousness.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Lindsey » 28 Mar 2014, 14:53

You'd have liked the young lad I just spoke to. He had one full stretcher in, and the other ear was two long dangles wrapped in a plaster, clearly stretched beyond capacity and having torn in two.
Lindsey

Postby Gavin » 15 Apr 2014, 08:41

I suppose we're not far from this in the UK now.
Gavin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Social Decay