Why do people get piercings?

Examples of social decline, especially in the UK

Re: Why do people get piercings?

Postby Elliott » 27 Sep 2012, 13:17

This man has tattoos galore, but I'm linking to him from this thread because he also has a rare and bizarre form of piercing, or rather body penetration, in which objects are somehow inserted underneath the skin.

Of course he does also have a standard piercing: through the nose.

His forehead tattoo, incidentally, can be explained as a reference to his Satanist "faith".

All in all, just the type you'd want your daughter to hook up with!

Did I mention he's a murderer?
Elliott

Postby Gavin » 27 Sep 2012, 15:42

Elliott, I looked at that while talking to someone and it had me in fits of laughter (probably partly in shock). To think people do this to themselves voluntarily...

I was thinking recently a surefire way to become rich in the UK now would be to open a tattoo parlour. I also heard a caller on the radio saying that he is doing a good business removing them.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Michael » 28 Sep 2012, 14:15

To think people do this to themselves voluntarily...

I know, it is so strange. These photographs, particularly that last one, look like the punishments a brutal, inhumane society would inflict upon its criminals. In the Neal Stephenson cyberpunk novel Snow Crash there is a character named Raven, a psychotic murderer, who has been released from prison but has been tattooed to warn others about him - on his forehead he bars the giant words "POOR IMPULSE CONTROL."

The saddest thing is that someone (more than just one ...) probably has that tattoo voluntarily.
Michael

Postby Elliott » 30 Sep 2012, 02:33

My God... I thought I'd seen it all, but...

Boasting full body tattooing, ear lobe saucers, sculpted teeth, intradermal ball implants, reptilian contact lenses, dyed dreadlocked hair and a bizarre chain/piercing, I give you Maria Jose Cristerna.

Here's another image of her.

And if you're not eating, here's a third.

Did I mention she's an ex-lawyer?
Elliott

Postby Gavin » 30 Sep 2012, 06:49

Elliott wrote:Did I mention she's an ex-lawyer?

Probably human rights, though she's done her best to make herself look like an alien.

Right to link to her off-site, I think. She looks kind of like a female version of Jesse Thornhill, but even worse. These people are very severe cases of an actually widespread disorder, in my view. We mustn't let their existence make us think the other ones are normal!

That disorder, by the way, I think is a tragic case of attention seeking, but these people also do not care who they shock or frighten and they don't care that through their indulgence they are making the world an uglier and more brutal place.

I said it before: therapy is the answer, not this kind of disgusting body modification - it would probably be cheaper too.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 30 Sep 2012, 07:30

Another thing about these people with piercings and tattoos, of course, is this:

They probably think of themselves as "open-minded". Would you make a permanent change to your mind, your point of view, that you could not reverse? Probably not. Thus it is foolish to make permanent body modifications such as these which are not easily reversed. How Mr Skrillex is going to look with big dangly hoops of skin where his earlobes should be is not an attractive vision. He'll look even more ridiculous than he has made himself look already.

It is actually extremely closed-minded to make these kinds of changes (including the herd type behaviour), and that is one of the aspects of the which I think is offensive to civilised people.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Damo » 30 Sep 2012, 09:45

Gavin wrote:How Mr Skrillex is going to look with big dangly hoops of skin where his earlobes should be is not an attractive vision. He'll look even more ridiculous than he has made himself look already.

Gavin, I can see in the near future some 'charity' or NGO been set up to campaign on behalf of these idiots for corrective surgery.

And of course us taxpayers will have to foot the bill for it.
Damo

Postby Gavin » 23 Oct 2012, 20:10

Folks, how about this story. A couple are talking about taking legal action against a five star hotel because it wanted to decline them the opportunity to hold their wedding there, having met them.

The man has an eyebrow piercing. A certain kind of person does that, but I don't know much else about them. Anyway, this is ridiculous. The hotel has immediately backtracked, "disciplined" the member of staff who felt they may be inappropriate customers, and apologised to the couple.

So, you try to maintain standards now and you're going to be sued. Crazy. This private establishment should have every right to turn people away for whatever reason it likes! It is the free market. What do you think?

Update: it turns out the woman is an "adult TV model" and chat line worker. But I would say that even if she was a dentist and the place didn't like dentists it would be their right to refuse them.

By the way, look at the contrast between the two stories - the BBC one really only tells have the story and refers to the woman as a "counsellor".
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Elliott » 23 Oct 2012, 21:02

Gavin, the commenters at the Daily Mail disagree with you. Here is the wisdom of Paula from Nottingham:

Regardless of what she did for a living, they should not have been turned away from the hotel. It's wrong to judge people full stop.

Well, there we are then!
Elliott

Postby Gavin » 23 Oct 2012, 21:43

Indeed! But if you order by "best rated" there are some better ones. This story might yet be mentioned in one of TD's articles, I think, as it is symptomatic of various things.

In a sense the couple did the right thing: if you don't like something you publicise it - easily done now via social media etc. The problem is half the people will, hopefully, side with the hotel. I'd like to go there but would have been even more inclined had they stuck by their guns on this.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Caleb » 26 Oct 2012, 01:14

The hotel wasn't very smart about it. What they should have done was lied (ridiculous, but necessary to cover themselves). They should have asked for the dates the couple would have liked to hold their wedding. Then they should have said there was a scheduling conflict or something of the sort, apologised, and moved on. They could have then booked someone else later, and if questioned on that, they could have claimed the fictitious booking had been cancelled. Never give the real reason you don't like or want to engage in a situation. If asked for a reason either give no reason or a non-reason.
Caleb

Postby Elliott » 26 Oct 2012, 12:32

Two more astonishing examples for us to feel superior about!

Ridiculous (NOT suitable for the squeamish)

Unbelievable
Elliott

Postby Gavin » 26 Oct 2012, 13:44

Caleb wrote:The hotel wasn't very smart about it.

True enough, the woman certainly messed up her e-mail reply. She should have known what to do about it too. It's a sign of the times, though, that these people should now think they have a legal case against the hotel.

As for the piercing links, above, one pictures a person with bars inserted in front of their eyes, so it is quite sick, so yes, be warned. I think those people are all mentally ill and should be stopped from making themselves look so disgusting in public. It could really frighten children.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 24 Nov 2012, 18:34

My wife and I have been watching the classic film Mogambo. It stars Clark Gable, Ava Gardner and Grace Kelly. It's fascinating watching these films, because in so many ways they seemed to have their values right at that time, while we have them very wrong today. They had a confidence we have now lost. For example, the admired look for women was rather different to what it is today (think Rita Ora, Kate Moss):

Screen Shot 2012-11-24 at 18.18.10.png

Needless to say, their behaviour was different too. Ava Gardner's character is more like the typical female of today, but Grace Kelly... well, Grace by name, grace by nature. Her perfect diction is a delight to hear. She went to great effort to develop it too.

Clark Gable (by all accounts a very likeable person) is "all true man" in the film - but a real gentleman, not a thug. They're out in Africa, so they have a lot to do with the tribes. Anyway, there's a lot the film makes you consider and it brings to mind the Mark Steyn quote I recently mentioned on the forum that in the past people knew a lot about other cultures, but they also knew that their own was superior. Now they know little about other cultures and believe their own to be inferior.

I posted in this thread because I noted the spectacular flesh tunnels among the tribespeople in one scene:

Screen Shot 2012-11-24 at 18.19.06.png

It is so sad that people today seek to imitate this primitive behaviour. Frankly unbelievable - I think the people of 1953 would not have believed us if we had informed them that within the next fifty years pampered westerners would be copying these practices.

Further, my wife made the interesting observation that you very rarely see any black people with flesh tunnels today. Instead, white youth imitate this. Maybe the black people are laughing at them. If so, I couldn't blame them.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Elliott » 22 Jan 2013, 21:17

Elliott

PreviousNext

Return to Social Decay