Examples of "Toxic Sentimentality"

Examples of social decline, especially in the UK

Re: Examples of "Toxic Sentimentality"

Postby Nathan » 24 Mar 2014, 12:17

Look at the three "Leading Ladies" chosen for Marks & Spencer's Spring/Summer 2014 collection in the mature lady range:

Emma Thompson - fair enough, she has been at the top of her game for many years; Annie Lennox OBE - likewise, a very successful lady in her own right; and Baroness Doreen Lawrence of Clarendon OBE, well-known only because of the murder case 21 years ago that is never allowed to end.
Nathan

Postby Gavin » 24 Mar 2014, 12:41

Simply unbelievable. Many people have been bereaved and they do not become celebrities or rulers of our country simply because of that. The photo looks like some kind of joke - it's even patronising to her.

By the way, the other two may be good in their respective professions but they are also ultra-liberal.

I wonder if the mother of Charlene Downes or indeed the widow of another Lawrence - Philip Lawrence - will also be elevated to the House of Lords. You guess the probability of that...
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » 24 Mar 2014, 13:54

Gavin wrote:The photo looks like some kind of joke - it's even patronising to her.

That's just it, even if you had no idea who those three women were you'd probably realise she doesn't fit in that group. Not only the big difference in colour and height, but the other two just look like veteran showbiz luvvies who are used to fancy photoshoots, plus they've probably known each other for decades, whereas Doreen Lawrence looks like an ordinary member of the public you'd see walking down the High Street.

That haughty look on Emma Thompson's face, and the hand pointed towards Doreen Lawrence just screams "Really, why is that woman here with us?!", and Annie Lennox's face screams "I know, it's ridiculous!" Surely Doreen Lawrence must feel a little bit out of her depth with those two, and realise deep down that her "out-ranking" them is a sham?
Nathan

Postby Elliott » 24 Mar 2014, 15:41

Observe the tattooed ankle at the extreme left. M&S wouldn't have gone near such a thing ten, even five, years ago.

There's also an unfortunate look of gormlessness about both Thompson and Lennox. I can explain this in Lennox as an artefact of her being Scottish, but Thompson... just learned stupidity, I guess.

I agree with the comments from Nathan and Gavin, and would add that Ms Lawrence doesn't look very intelligent, which is yet another reason she shouldn't have influence on our laws.

The whole thing is unbelievably perverse. Remember that M&S is a middle-class store. That photo-shoot is a demonstration of the British middle-class abdicating their responsibility, their authority and their moral and intellectual integrity. If it is viewed in a hundred years' time as a historical document, the social implications will shine out of it, blindingly.
Elliott

Postby Charlie » 11 Apr 2014, 07:21

Here's a good piece by Brendan O'Neill: Weeping for Peaches: Ersatz grief gone mad.
Charlie

Postby Gavin » 11 Apr 2014, 07:34

Very good - worthy of TD, I thought...
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Charlie » 11 Apr 2014, 07:57

Indeed, I think that Dalrymple would wholeheartedly agree with O'Neill's article.

On a more humorous note, when the news came out, I happened to be listening to BBC radio (cough). Clearly believing that it would be the necessary thing to do, they read out Michael Vaughn's twitter reaction!

It instantly reminded me of Mike's quote from the Day Today:

"Community reaction has been strong...we spoke to Kim Wilde!!"
Charlie

Postby Gavin » 09 May 2014, 19:36

This should do the trick:

Unbelievably infantile and saccharine from a First Lady. Frightening, actually. They're not even "our" girls (unless Ms Obama was being racial about it) though goodness knows enough Christians are ignored around the world all the time who are victims of Muslim aggression. Strange how when there is an all female slant there is suddenly this mass (and ineffectual) Twitter appeal. Far be it from the liberals to urge a military solution (the only solution likely to actually "bring back the girls").
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Charlie » 09 May 2014, 21:38

Gavin wrote:This should do the trick:

Ha!

I see that some celebrities on Twitter are trying to "raise awareness" too.
Charlie

Postby Yessica » 11 May 2014, 10:40

I wonder if others agree with me. I see the story of Lacey Spears as an example of the evils of toxic compassion.

It is believed that Spears' son might have died from a salt poisoning caused by his own mother. She is believed to possibly suffer from Münchhausen by proxy a "illness" which makes mother hurt their own children in order to gain attention.

Spears has told frienfds a number of lies. She claimed that she had another child before that died and that her son's father was a heroic cop, who died. None of that was true.

It is interesting to have a look at how her lies stated. Spears seems to have grown up sheltered in a churchgoing family. When she was a teen one of her friends had a kid out of wedlock. Spears watched her son... and told people the child was hers (which the mother did not know). She started attending a church together with the child, claiming to be a teenage mother on welfare and received charity donations like diapers and aby wipes. Most interesting is the fact that she did not need the donations and did not give them to the mother who in fact did not even know that Spears was doing that. She seems to have loved the compassion.

Later spears had a short relationship with a man, she ended up pregnant and he asked her to marry her, but she refused claiming the child was not his. Friends say she seems to have wanted a child but no husband.

Spears seems to be a person with severe mental health issues looking for approvement. Interesting is however where she looked for that approvement. Did she claim to have graduated from an elite college, that she volunteered saving cute baby seals? Did she claim her husband was a nobel prize laureate?

No, she claimed to be a teenage single mother on welfare, something that would have been a reason for deep shame in America only 50 years ago (and I would say that in Germany today it still is).
The only lie which would have granted her positive attention 50 years ago would probably be the one about the kids father being a hero cop.

This should be kept in mind if you call single mothers the new heros or demand a "single mothers day".
Yessica

Postby Gavin » 30 May 2014, 12:15

Stephen Sutton seems to have been a very admirable young man, but this still looks to me like an exercise in mass sentimentality.

Even Stephen's mother asks people to "do something that makes you and others happy", which presumably doesn't involve holding their thumbs in the air or performing a "thunderclap" (intentionally putting high load on Internet servers in a manner not dissimilar to a DDOS attack!).

However, what I was going to remark upon, working as I am in Birmingham, was the striking lack of multicultural support among the people in the photographs. I would put this down to kin identity.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » 02 Jun 2014, 19:11

A sense of deja vu about the news today:

Another investigation into the investigation of the Stephen Lawrence case is to go ahead, 21 years after he was killed and two years after the killers were convicted.

Police in Portugal are searching an area they have already searched in connection with the Madeleine McCann murder seven years ago.

The inquest into the Hillsborough disaster a quarter of a century ago is still ongoing.
Nathan

Postby Lindsey » 02 Jun 2014, 20:59

It's like a merry-go-round and nobody is allowed to get off!
Lindsey

Postby Elliott » 03 Jun 2014, 14:24

I can't believe that there's to be yet another investigation into the Lawrence case. How many investigations does that make...? Can anyone keep count?!
Elliott

Postby Andreas » 17 Jul 2014, 22:15

This might or might not fit in the toxic sentimentality category. I've just noticed a change in language used in the U.S. media to refer to victims of rape. They are now "sexual assault survivors." I can't help thinking there's a Dalrymplean aspect to this, another reflection of our age of victimhood.

Rape is a serious crime, of course, like other forms of physical assault. But one doesn't generally (at least not yet) hear the term "survivors" applied to victims of violent attacks that are physical but not sexual, or victims of other kinds of crime.

There has been a lot of noise lately about a supposed epidemic of sexual violence on American college campuses. Are there really more incidents of rape now than there were ten, fifteen, twenty years ago?
Andreas

PreviousNext

Return to Social Decay