Modern Clothing: Your Thoughts

Examples of social decline, especially in the UK

Re: Modern Clothing: Your Thoughts

Postby Gavin » 19 Jan 2014, 13:23

Travelling back from Surrey yesterday, I was dressed in fairly standard smart/casual British attire, on board a train into London Waterloo. As I boarded a carriage I was confronted with a group of dirty looking young men who were sitting on the floor engaging in that intellectual pursuit of playing cards. They looked like they might be a band. They were slovenly and looked a bit thuggish, though. Anyway, I brought my bags on and headed up the carriage, knowing it is rarely a good idea to sit near others in public unless you like hearing F words and inanity.

As I was sitting down further up I heard them making the effort to ridicule the hat I was wearing, which was a Barbour cap (I've got it on again now). I had not really prejudged these people but they had proven themselves to be vindictive, childish and superficial cretins. The incident reminded me of the excellent first post of this thread. These people themselves looked a mess, and I didn't look particularly well dressed, yet they were engaging in reverse snobbery.

It does take a lot of confidence in this degenerate culture to dress well and speak well. People are ridiculed for it, at school and in general society. Only not openly at work, because people's wages depend on it, but there is of course the possibility of ridicule behind one's back. I always ignored this kind of thing. I like people who dress with a little classic style, rather than following, sheep-like, the disgusting and vulgar fashions of tattoos and piercing. In the corrupt society it takes "heroism" to be decent, as Dalrymple has said. Well then we need to be heroes.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Connor » 27 Jan 2014, 07:11

Sorry to hear about that last encounter, Gavin. My sympathies go out to you!

Gavin wrote:
It does take a lot of confidence in this degenerate culture to dress well and speak well. People are ridiculed for it, at school and in general society. Only not openly at work, because people's wages depend on it, but there is of course the possibility of ridicule behind one's back. I always ignored this kind of thing. I like people who dress with a little classic style, rather than following, sheep-like, the disgusting and vulgar fashions of tattoos and piercing.

Yes, I think you and I have similar attitudes towards clothing and self-presentation. I tend to dress in a more "formal" manner than most of the people I know, and sometimes that causes me to stand out a little. I'll point out, though, that I'm not consciously trying to stand out from the crowd. It's not as if I'm dressed in an outlandish way. For example, I'll sometimes be the one person wearing a collared shirt and loafers, while everyone else will be wearing a t-shirt and sneakers (perhaps it's "trainers" for you). I simply feel more comfortable dressing in the former way than in the latter. Seeing that I'm not an athlete, I really don't see why I should walk around wearing sweatpants and running shoes at all waking moments. It would only ever occur to me to dress in that way if I were actually going to exercise. The fact that this look has almost become the default outfit of modern society strikes me as odd. People are fatter than ever, and yet they're always dressed like they're heading towards the Gym.

Anyway, I'd be curious to know if other forum members had a similar aversion to "dressing down." Do a t-shirt and sweatpants somehow feel uncomfortable to anyone else, as if it's a little too informal for going out in public? At the very least, I can't picture our own Dr. Dalrymple dressing in that way!
Connor

Postby Andreas » 21 Feb 2014, 20:47

The latest frontline in the battle of appropriate dress vs. slovenliness (what Dalrymple calls "bogus bohemianism") -- the San Francisco Superior Court.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/matier-ro ... 250590.php
Andreas

Postby Charlie » 13 Apr 2014, 15:50

Connor wrote:I really don't see why I should walk around wearing sweatpants and running shoes at all waking moments. It would only ever occur to me to dress in that way if I were actually going to exercise. The fact that this look has almost become the default outfit of modern society strikes me as odd. People are fatter than ever, and yet they're always dressed like they're heading towards the Gym.

I fully agree.

Here's a bugbear of mine...

Apologies if anyone reading this owns a pair, but to me, the ubiquity of these things reinforces everything that has been said so far on this thread.

What bugs me about them is that they always look so scruffy and antithetical to what it means to be masculine (although I've seen plenty of women wearing them too). To put it another way, I can't imagine that Paul Newman or Clint Eastwood ever went near a pair of these things.

I don't want to sound too much like a fuddy-duddy (like Dalrymple always does when he dismisses all popular music), but I blame The Strokes and everyone who ever promoted them. No, really...

This was a group whose appearance was a way of playing down or obscuring the fact that they were a bunch of rich NY kids who had been educated at expensive schools in Switzerland.

Music may have many profound qualities, but I don't think I'm being too sweepingly dismissive when I say that they're not usually found in pop lyrics. It always said a lot to me, therefore, that for all the group's influence on popular fashion (and they did have that - to quote Andreas and Dalrymple - "bogus bohemianism" rock star look down pat) and for all their detached "cool", they had nothing to say.

Anyway, ever since the group's first album came out, it seems that everyone wants to go around wearing these Converse baseball boots. I hate the things!
Charlie

Postby Nathan » 23 Jul 2014, 10:16

Behold the new presenter of the BBC's most serious current affairs programme!

It looks like they've just taken a picture of somebody on a university campus and superimposed a middle-aged man's head onto it.
Nathan

Postby Gavin » 23 Jul 2014, 11:07

• Gay? Check
  • Left-wing? Check
  • Ethnic minority? In London, that's a check
  • Disabled? AFAIK that's a fail, unless point 2 is taken into account

Well, three out of four ain't bad. Well done, BBC.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Elliott » 24 Jul 2014, 15:55

You forgot "tattooed".
Elliott

Postby Gavin » 24 Jul 2014, 16:10

Yes, I remembered "tattooed" after, actually, and considered adding it. Perhaps it does now need to join the mandatory PC checklist, along with the effort to dress down in ripped jeans etc. The dog kind of sets off the downward aspirational look too, a racing whippet or greyhound!
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Kevin R » 08 Aug 2014, 23:55

Nathan wrote:Behold the new presenter of the BBC's most serious current affairs programme!

It looks like they've just taken a picture of somebody on a university campus and superimposed a middle-aged man's head onto it.

He appears to have forgotten his skate-board.

Faux pas! He won't be granted admission across the borders of Shoreditch without it. Or is that quarter now passé?
Kevin R

Postby Kevin R » 08 Aug 2014, 23:59

PETER_PAN_PEPhoto_06.jpg
Kevin R

Previous

Return to Social Decay