Spoilt, "bored" youngsters

Examples of social decline, especially in the UK

Spoilt, "bored" youngsters

Postby Gavin » 29 Jun 2013, 01:37

To finish up for tonight, I just heard a liberal call in to a radio station. She lived in a village near Bath (one of the few remaning conservative enlaves of the UK). She said:

"We don't get a lot of trouble... there are a few youngsters who smash up the bus shelters because there's not a lot to do here, but..."

And that was it. "Not a lot to do." In the age of the Internet. There is more to do than ever before in human history! There's a never-ending list of things to do! An astounding breadth of opportunity. Yet still liberals make excuses for wanton violence. We have some considerable way to go yet, clearly.
Gavin
Site Admin

Re: Spoilt, "bored" youngsters

Postby Yessica » 15 Jul 2013, 07:31

To be honest I think that there is not much to do for people with an IQ below average those days.
Jobs they could work are gone. Some people just cannot surf the internet, because they cannot read or write. The schools do not bother to adapt their style of teaching to slow people they teach in a style that has a focus on exploring and finding out things yourself. That works very well if a person is of average or above average ability especially if that person comes from an educated background. It does not work so well for others.

Today youth who are somewhat slow are ridiculed for just trying to live a decent live and going into some low qualification job.

I am not the smartest person on this world. Definitely not. Don't think I am below avarage either. Just normal... and I mention that to make clear that I do not bash not so smart people or think myself better... or want others to accept their fate while I myself want something better for my life... or all the things you got blamed of those days if you talk about intelligence and that not so intelligent people should work in not so intelligent jobs.

Now what I notice is that people nowadays think that everybody must want to be a college professor, medical doctor, attorney at law or the like.... and if you are none of those things the only other identity open to you is that of a victim.
In our society (and I think in yours too) they (magazines, politicians, intelectuals) are talking about people who were left down by society because they did not go to college. Yet the majority of youth is not enrolled in college (and never will be unless it is dumbed down).

What I wanted to say is this:
There is nothing to do for the below avarage youth, the avarage youth are being told that what they do (like apprenticeship, jobs) sucks and they are only worth the while when they are enrolled in college.

But it is a matter of fact that not anybody can be above average (if everybody was it would not be above average any longer).
Yessica

Postby Andreas » 13 Sep 2013, 19:04

An experience I had yesterday had a distinctly Dalrymplean flavor. I went to get a haircut. The salon is run by a friendly, courteous, efficient woman from Southeast Asia. She is usually busy. One of her staff was giving a pedicure, or rather washing the feet of a young woman who was overweight, slovenly, and had a glassy-eyed expression. This customer exuded idleness, and not a benign kind. A medieval artist might have used her as a model of Sloth (a 20th century or contemporary Mexican artist might do a good job of it too). It was almost too much work for her even to move her ponderous large feet and legs. She didn’t say much, but before she left she did say a few things to the unfortunate woman who had to wash her feet. She mentioned that she had finished a college degree and complained about her current menial job. I was surprised that she had managed to obtain any kind of degree (couldn’t have been demanding) and that she actually had some kind of paid employment. It was clear that she would never like any future job she would ever have in her life.

There have always been and will always be people like this, but I wondered about how much this young woman’s upbringing or lack thereof, the possible lack of any positive authority figure in her family, and our loose norms today, contributed to her slovenly appearance and behavior.
Andreas

Postby Caleb » 06 Dec 2013, 00:41

I wasn't sure where to put this link (other than starting a thread for it), but here is a counter-example to all of the doom and gloom.
Caleb

Postby Elliott » 06 Dec 2013, 02:40

Yes, I saw that on Facebook. It is very encouraging, and adorable!
Elliott

Postby Yessica » 06 Dec 2013, 07:16

I agree. Sweet.

Good news (other topics section) would also be a good place.

Is Faith, by the way, a common name in Britain? I ask because in Germany a name like that would probably outlawed. Not because it is "Faith" - "infidel" would be just as outlawed - but because it would not be considered a real name for a human being.
In case it would not be outlawed my guess would be that the parents are evangelical Christians. This name has a strong religious connotation for me.
Yessica

Postby Caleb » 06 Dec 2013, 11:57

Faith, along with other virtue names, was a common name in my grandparents' generation. My maternal grandmother was named Faith. My paternal grandmother was named Constance.
Caleb

Postby Elliott » 06 Dec 2013, 16:35

Chastity, Hope, Honor, Faith... maybe Charity as well? I'm not sure.
Elliott

Postby Alf » 06 Dec 2013, 22:38

For years now I have hated our education system. Corralling together huge numbers of the same peer groups and then 'teaching' them ever more inane subjects. Anyway, in relation to this topic these two essays by John Taylor Gatto hit the nail on the head for me:
Against School http://www.wesjones.com/gatto1.htm
The Six-Lesson Schoolteacher http://www.cantrip.org/gatto.html
Our current education system doesn't improve it dumbs down and it is borrrring! When I asked my son to describe his school experience in one word I think you can guess what he said. In the time I have available I try to teach him at home, especially history, learning independently and how to discern the truth. If I was able to I would home school him but I am currently caught in the system!
Alf

Postby Caleb » 07 Dec 2013, 05:52

Alf: I understand your concerns, and I sympathise with them greatly. That said, I don't think education should necessarily not be boring. There are two reasons for this, and they're related to one another. The first is that not everything that is worth achieving in life is a barrel of laughs 100% of the time. There are times when things are just hard and you have to knuckle down and get through them. Learning can be like this at times. Often, especially for children (particularly teenagers), it's only once a person has come out the other side of something that the value of it becomes apparent. The process, though, is not necessarily enjoyable.

The second point is that in an attempt to not be boring, one walks a very fine line. There needs to be a certain amount of engagement involved, but it's very easy for that to turn into stimulation which can rapidly lead to tolerance of said stimulation, and subsequent boredom, which in turn requires even greater stimulation to alleviate, and so on. The whole enterprise can end up as a dog and pony show.

I see these problems with many of my students all the time. Many have absolutely no sense of perseverance beyond immediate gratification, even with things they supposedly do enjoy, such as sport. As soon as the weather is a little hot or they feel tired, they want to stop. I feel that all of the adults in their lives prior to meeting me (whom many no doubt regard as some sort of uptight weirdo) have betrayed them by not pushing them harder. Most of these kids have little to no future as a result. They have few skills, no knowledge, and have poor attitudes. They will be quite unemployable. I feel that one of the greatest tragedies of modern formal education is not that it is boring, but that it lacks rigour.
Caleb

Postby Mike » 07 Dec 2013, 09:06

Caleb: agreed all along the line. I've replied to Alf on the education thread as well (not that my comments were directed at him, incidentally, merely at that John Taylor Gatto piece).

The "don't teach anything unless it's immediately relevant" line has become an absolute millstone around the necks of schools. I think this is partly because the trust that used to be vouchsafed to teachers has been eroded to the extent that the minute a kid comes home and tells his/her parents that the teacher presented something to the class today which was (a) hard to understand and (b) superficially abstruse, the parents will be up in arms, and the principal will probably take the path of least resistance rather than sticking up for the staff (and for the proper interests of education).

I think Alf has a good point, incidentally, when he talks about "ever more inane" subjects; even those subjects which can stimulate deep thinking and genuine intellectual discovery when taught properly are disappearing. The study of languages has been in freefall in Australia for decades; the hard sciences have been stuffed full of PC rubbish, and the senior English syllabus (here in NSW) has next to nothing to do with the actual study of English.
Mike

Postby Elliott » 07 Dec 2013, 13:23

Mike wrote:the hard sciences have been stuffed full of PC rubbish

How on Earth do they manage that? Can you give any examples? (Not that I doubt your word; I just can't imagine how hard science could be made PC - or, for that matter, un-PC.)
Elliott

Return to Social Decay