8 Things Civilised People Do, by Chekhov

Examples of social decline, especially in the UK

8 Things Civilised People Do, by Chekhov

Postby Elliott » 03 Aug 2013, 22:03

Here is a rather interesting list by Chekhov of eight characteristics of civilised people. I don't have much to say about it myself but would be interested to know other people's reactions.

I will say that "they do not force uninvited confidences on people" came as a bit of a shock to me, because I am probably guilty of that myself - one of those things that needs to be pointed out because that nagging feeling that one is doing something vaguely wrong can be easily ignored!
Elliott

Re: 8 Things Civilised People Do, by Chekhov

Postby martinm2 » 13 Aug 2013, 16:11

We live entirely in the Me Me Me Me today!, and all of those Chekhov things do not promote Me Me Me ! . Which is probably why there are no people on this website. We blogs are all about Me Me Me Me! I think Chekhov would not blog for these reasons.
martinm2

Postby Gavin » 13 Aug 2013, 16:50

Which is probably why there are no people on this website.

Nearly none, true enough - it stands as solid evidence of its cause.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Kevin R » 23 Aug 2014, 19:55

Gavin wrote:
Which is probably why there are no people on this website.

Nearly none, true enough - it stands as solid evidence of its cause.

That made me chuckle Gavin. So true..! The ninth would of course be 'posting on to the TD forum'.

However, one thing I didn't agree with was : 'They behave in the streets as they do at home'. In that respect, I've seen enough appalling behaviour hereabouts (and thereabouts) to warrant scepticism for it's precept. Louts notwithstanding, feckless modern parenting is one example where they see no problem with extending the domestic behavioural anarchy of their children into the public realm.
Kevin R

Return to Social Decay