These riots...

Examples of social decline, especially in the UK

Re: These riots...

Postby Gavin » 13 Aug 2011, 10:25

By the way, what is David Cameron doing bringing in law and order people from the United States, as if they are the only people who know that a hard line is needed, when he could stop anyone on the street here and (providing they were not a thug) they would agree? Common sense is not s special skill (except, apparently, to our politicians).

Agreed, laurence, it will be very easy for people to forget even this, which is why pressure must be maintained on the liberals who did this to our society.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Laurence » 13 Aug 2011, 10:31

I must say I rather agree with what Oborne says. 'Something has gone horribly wrong with Britain' just about sums it up - and it's on all levels of society.
Laurence

Postby Gavin » 13 Aug 2011, 10:43

I noticed liberals have been loving the Oborne article, seeing it as absolving their views. "At last the Torygraph speaks some sense", said one Amnesty working liberal. At the same time they are decrying David Starkey. The fact remains it is liberal policies that have caused the pollution.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Elliott » 13 Aug 2011, 12:25

Gavin wrote:By the way, what is David Cameron doing bringing in law and order people from the United States, as if they are the only people who know that a hard line is needed, when he could stop anyone on the street here and (providing they were not a thug) they would agree?

Ha! I hadn't thought of that. You're absolutely right.

I also saw the David Starkey clip on the BBC site. It is depressing how predictable the reaction by liberals to the truth is. You say black popular culture is nihilistic and Owen Jones et al pretend to be shocked and speechless. The insincerity is disgusting to watch.

Having said that, Starkey did choose phrases that were easy to pillory. "Whites have become blacks" isn't going to win the respect of Guardian readers. (Then again, perhaps the opinions of Guardian readers are going to become irrelevant now?)

And if I may make a prediction... is Owen Jones hoping to be the new Johann Hari?
Elliott

Postby Andy JS » 16 Aug 2011, 01:14

It takes a lot to shock me but some of the attitudes on display from the parents of rioters and looters is quite unnerving. The refusal to take responsibility for their child's upbringing is astonishing:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... nment.html
Andy JS

Postby Constantine » 16 Aug 2011, 05:36

Funnily enough I'll bet she had some harsh words for her son after all that.

Not for his actions of course but for embarassing her like that.
Constantine

Postby Paul » 23 Aug 2011, 11:03

I found this earlier, which I think is an interesting, if not fascinating read, if also very chilling. I find it entirely believable because of course it comes from someone with direct experience. It blows away a lot of (mis) conceptions. What d'you think?
Paul

Postby Andy JS » 05 Sep 2011, 22:49

Ken Clarke blames the penal system for the riots:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-14797602
Andy JS

Postby Andy JS » 21 Sep 2011, 02:10

The deputy prime minister Nick Clegg blames society for the riots:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... s-ago.html
Andy JS

Postby Mike » 25 Sep 2011, 22:38

Another quite TD-esque piece on the riots and their underlying causes in the Oz press:

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-a ... 1krkj.html
Mike

Postby Gavin » 11 Dec 2011, 23:47

Iain Duncan Smith, one of very few politicians whom I respect, puts his finger on why these riots occurred.

It's simultaneously reassuring and frightening that newspapers and the government now speak of "social breakdown" quite casually in the UK. If only they had looked around themselves, and listened to Dalrymple, a little earlier.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Damo » 30 Mar 2012, 14:02

Not directly related to the riots but Thomas Sowell does make some good points about social welfare.

The welfare state is not really about the welfare of the masses. It is about the egos of the elites. One of the most dangerous things about the welfare state is that it breaks the connection between what people have produced and what they’ve consumed, at least in many people’s minds. For the society as a whole, that connection remains as fixed as ever but the welfare state makes it possible for individuals to think of money or goods as just arbitrary dispensations. Thus those who have less can feel a grievance against society, and are less inhibited about stealing or vandalising. And the very concept of gratitude or obligation disappears, even the obligation of common decency for other people.

Damo

Postby Gavin » 08 Apr 2012, 18:23

Reading this excellent article it saddens one to think (as he mentions) how little TD's opinion is sought by our "leaders". Probably because they know his advice would contain too much truth. They don't want truth - it's awkward.

This is a typical waffle-free analysis by Dalrymple which gets right to the heart of the matter. In it he comprehensively dismisses the idea that the rioters were deprived, certainly of anything material. They (and their parents) were rather deprived of serious consequences for laziness and criminal behaviour.

There were some really good paragraphs in this essay, I thought, where TD explains the consequences, seen society-wide now, of an attitude of entitlement. Like self pity (indeed it is perhaps simply a mode of self-pity), this attitude is destructive to society as a whole and to those individuals who possess it.

These riots were not the fault of "the police" or "deprivation" and this should be said loudly and clearly, but the report predictably equivocated. This suggests to me that we still have no reason to expect them to any time soon get a grip on law and order in this country. I expect instead there will be further apologies offered to the communities whose youths rioted.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Caleb » 09 Apr 2012, 01:07

TD wrote:The mystery, then, is not that there should have been riots, but that for most of the time there are no riots. This is a tribute to the inherent goodness, or perhaps to the laziness and cowardice, of man.

I like this paragraph. What puzzles me is not that the riots took place, but that such things don't take place more frequently, last longer, and cause more trouble.
Caleb

Postby Gavin » 06 Jul 2012, 20:51

I just popped out to get a beer from the local shop, part of a chain called "Bargain Booze" (charming, eh?). I noticed that the streets are bad tonight: saw numerous gangs of delinquent, tracksuit wearing young thugs. The irony is never lost on me that these louts, unlikely to ever run except from the scene of a crime, wear running gear.

It seemed like every time I glanced up a young thug was turning his head to the side to spit, as loudly as possible, a globule of saliva onto the pavement. It's done with gusto. One gang passed another, some girls. The girls unleashed a salvo of insults at the young louts - the thugs shambled on, into a junk food shop.

I passed a pub, bouncer outside. All men around the door were shaven-headed with tattoos. I got a bad feeling on the streets. I didn't see any police. While I was in the aforementioned off-license an older thug entered, speaking to himself, and marched around the shop, shouted something to the cashier then left. I told her it felt bad tonight. She agreed and said some of the spitting louts had been in her shop. I said I hadn't seen a single policeman.

I was reminded of the riots and of the comment by the police that they believe the riots could well happen again. I've been thinking about that. I think if they happen again they'll be a lot bigger and instead of raiding only commercial premises things may well go to the next level, whereby thugs crowbar their way into people's homes. If that happens I'll have no hesitation in defending what's mine "with extreme prejudice" and will worry about the law later, if ever.
Gavin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Social Decay