The destruction of the family

A topic which pervades many others

The destruction of the family

Postby Elliott » 01 Feb 2013, 06:08

A feminist think tank in the EU wants to "ban children's books and fairy tales that depict the traditional family" "where the father is the breadwinner and the mother takes care of the children", because such books "are bad for the future life of children, especially girls, and promote wrong behavioral patterns. In the future, it may prevent them from building a career".

If this story is genuine, it really goes to show how twisted some feminists are and how insane the EU is. Unfortunately I can't find another source for the story, but it doesn't seem implausible to me at all.
Elliott

Re: The destruction of the family

Postby Charlie » 01 Feb 2013, 12:24

Call me irrational, but so many of these "think tanks" either fill me with anger, or with a certain dread. In the case of this story - and let's work on the premise that it is true - just who is funding these people? How are these supposed intellectuals making their money?

You're right Elliott, the EU seems to be insane.
Charlie

Postby Andreas » 01 Feb 2013, 19:11

This is a curious story. The only source I could find was this, a draft report by the European Parliament Committee on Women’s Rights and Gender Equality on eliminating gender stereotypes in the EU:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/get ... V0%2F%2FEN

This draft report makes no mention of children’s books or fairy tales specifically, but perhaps this comes up in the full report, which I couldn’t find on the Committee’s website. It does include the remark “whereas children are confronted with gender stereotypes at a very young age through television series, television advertisements, study materials and educational programmes, influencing their perception of how male and female characters should behave.”

In the case of folktales and fairy tales, this is really objectionable, for several reasons. The recording of traditional oral narratives started with the Grimm brothers in Germany, then spread throughout Europe and the world. There is a great deal of scholarship on folktales: they have been catalogued by plot and studied comparatively (by scholars like Stith Thompson), and there are also structural and psychological studies. Probably the most thorough study of European fairy tales is by Bengt Holbek.

As far as we can tell, many folktales are very old (the Cupid and Psyche tale, for instance, appears in Apuleius’ Metamorphoses or The Golden Ass, c. 160-180 A.D.) and have spread very widely. The fairy tale of “The Kind and the Unkind Girls” (also known as “The Spinning-Woman by the Spring”) has been recorded from Western Europe through the Middle East across Asia to China and Japan. Folktales are an important part of human cultural heritage, a form of entertainment for millennia, when most people in the world were illiterate. To deny them to children is to cut children off from a longstanding cultural tradition.

The University of Chicago Press has published a scholarly series of folktales arranged by country, with informative introductions and annotation. The EU Committee members might do well to take a look at them. One of them is “Folktales of England”:

http://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/boo ... 42239.html

Fairy tales are full of stereotypes and stock characters, but they are also very obviously fantasy – dragons, wicked stepmothers, magic objects, etc. A careful reading of traditional oral narratives shows that there is no one obvious “meaning” or “message” to any of them. If a young woman has a talent for science, engineering, or financial management, merely having read or heard a few fairy tales in childhood will not stop her from pursuing a career.

The EU bureaucrats are ham-fisted, unsophisticated, unimaginative, and show little appreciation for cultural history or their own heritage.
Andreas

Postby Kevin R » 03 Jun 2014, 16:45

http://c4m.org.uk/

If anyone wishes to sign the petition..
Kevin R

Postby Lindsey » 03 Jun 2014, 23:04

Thank you for that post Andrea, I have a love old folk stories and folk music to. I think we have sadly forgotten so much oral history , and very little is done to preserve it. Folk tales used to be a very central form of entertainment and cultural reiteration . I doubt they are really going to tamper with these, though I have a real gripe with the rising pink tide in gender stereotyping, I honestly think its more of a gender shallowing , as the boys toys are almost equally as shallow. It seems to be parental casting of what they imagine childhood to be, rather than what the children themselves would want, or the toys having any value or significance to the growing mind ie the mother wants the girl to be a tacky pink princess and the boy is going to be raised the same way as the staffie. At least thats the impression I get from the people around me on the estates.
Lindsey

Postby Yessica » 18 Jun 2014, 21:06

Germany's Federal Ministry of Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth and the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Building and Nuclear Safety have been flying the gay pride flag to celebrate Christopher Street Day

Typically only the German flag, the European flag and the flags of the federal States and communities are flown. By now the flag has been taken down because there was no official permission.

By the way on-topci. I like fairy-tales but I think some must be a bit explained to children. It's a bit more than traditional gender roles.

Things children do not neccessarily understand:
*"Why was it possible for a king to give someone his daugherts hand in marriage (without asking for her permission)"?
*"Why was it possible for the king to have someone beheaded for minor reasons?"
*"How comes mothers in fairy tales often died in giving birth?"
*"What does 'they were so poor that they had no bread and decided to expose their children' mean?"

I think it's a parents job to inform the children about how society was in the past and how that shaped fairy tales and how our society is better today... because today we do not any longer believe the father chooses his daughters husband and so on. Typically they do that. If a parent however just chooses to have his children sit in front of fairy tale movies and does not exaplin a thing the child will end up with a funny world view.
Yessica

Return to Political Correctness