Weasel words and hyperbole

A topic which pervades many others

Re: Weasel words and hyperbole

Postby Gavin » 17 Apr 2014, 17:54

I was in a laundrette not long ago and the young girl (not native English) - a niece of the owner, or something like that - was declaring that she would never work for anyone, certainly not serve anyone anything. She was about fourteen years old. I think we were talking about people volunteering at royal palaces, that kind of thing. No, she said, she would never wait on the Queen - on the contrary, people should be waiting on her! Egotism combined with ignorance and a misplaced sense of entitlement - a very common pattern these days.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 30 Apr 2014, 22:45

At the company where I work I often notice something Dalrymple has written about a great deal from his experience in the NHS. Namely: people who lack any actual talent or skill instead utilising sheer cunning and duplicity in order to advance themselves in their - ultimately unnecessary - jobs, to the detriment of the organisation as a whole. It's a horrible thing to behold.

Anyway, I took this photo today. It was on a timetable for a morning's training in the obvious (I refused to attend this because I already know the obvious and had actual pressing development work to do instead).

20140430_122257.jpg

The training is about programming methodologies and is given by women who, as far as I can tell, have never done any programming. No doubt a fortune was charged, and paid, for it. But notice, they're not "coffee breaks" any more, they're "comfort breaks"! It's a war zone out there!
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » 07 May 2014, 22:17

"Tolerant" = militantly intolerant of anything you disagree with, unless it is said or done by a minority group which is considered more equal than others, in which case it then becomes tolerable.
Nathan

Postby Gavin » 08 May 2014, 06:56

Yes, that is just what we see from people on Quisling Time.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Charlie » 08 May 2014, 13:42

Life sentence.
Charlie

Postby Gavin » 08 May 2014, 14:27

"Executive"

This is now frequently - perhaps even particularly - used even for junior people who have little experience and no actual executive power. I know one "Digital Account Executive" - it's his first job (essentially unskilled) and he makes the tea. It seems that job titles generally have been greatly inflated in recent years, with responsibilities rarely matching. All part of the ego culture.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Paul » 08 May 2014, 23:14

My mother was a school secretary but retired as an Administration Officer, which to mind mind sounds worse. Completely Orwellian, which of course it is. The next step will be School Commissar. Maybe it already is!

She was something else in between but I forget now what it was.
Paul

Postby Nathan » 09 May 2014, 17:55

Here's some European Unionese, taken from today's Guardian:

Jose Manuel Barroso wrote:But European political dialectics are often characterised by a system where everybody can afford to be a little bit in government and a little bit in opposition; where successes are nationalised and difficulties Europeanised. The time has come to create a new relationship of cooperation, a Kooperationsverhältnis between the union, its institutions and the member states, a loyalty between the institutions and the member states that goes beyond what's written in the treaties.

Sustained reform means that the commission remains the indispensable and reinforced focal point of European politics. While the final outcome has not always reflected our initial ambition, the commission has put the decisive proposals on the table throughout the crisis. The new financial stability toolbox (EFSM, the EFSF and later the ESM), the reform of economic governance, banking union, tackling tax evasion, and initiatives to combat youth unemployment are just some of the examples. No other place in the union brings together the horizontal view – the political awareness of the variety of member state situations – with the vertical insight and the expertise on European policies.

The number-one comment underneath is much more to the point: "Vote UKIP".
Nathan

Postby Nathan » 09 May 2014, 18:00

Also, have we done "progressive"? I think it means "any possible idea that left-wingers can think of, thus entitling them to call any conservatives that don't like the idea 'regressive'".
Nathan

Postby Charlie » 09 May 2014, 18:11

Jose Manuel Barroso wrote:But European political dialectics are often characterised by a system where everybody can afford to be a little bit in government and a little bit in opposition; where successes are nationalised and difficulties Europeanised. The time has come to create a new relationship of cooperation, a Kooperationsverhältnis between the union, its institutions and the member states, a loyalty between the institutions and the member states that goes beyond what's written in the treaties.

Sustained reform means that the commission remains the indispensable and reinforced focal point of European politics. While the final outcome has not always reflected our initial ambition, the commission has put the decisive proposals on the table throughout the crisis. The new financial stability toolbox (EFSM, the EFSF and later the ESM), the reform of economic governance, banking union, tackling tax evasion, and initiatives to combat youth unemployment are just some of the examples. No other place in the union brings together the horizontal view – the political awareness of the variety of member state situations – with the vertical insight and the expertise on European policies.

Oh, apart from perhaps "new financial stability toolbox" (!), that's such an example of Portuguese verbosity translated straight into English!
Charlie

Postby Nathan » 09 May 2014, 18:34

Oh, really? Nice way too of connecting with your average voter by using a piece of German EU jargon that 99.9% of British people won't ever have heard of before, don't you think?
Nathan

Postby Charlie » 09 May 2014, 19:22

Nathan wrote:Nice way too of connecting with your average voter by using a piece of German EU jargon that 99.9% of British people won't ever have heard of before, don't you think?

Indeed! He's a man with the common touch!
Charlie

Postby Gavin » 12 May 2014, 19:41

"Islamist"

Meaning fundamentalist Muslim.
Meaning a Muslim who is keeping to what the Qur'an actually says.
So, meaning a true Muslim, really.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 06 Aug 2014, 11:55

I was just reflecting on Nathan's observation about the weasel word "diversity" on the first page of this thread.

When will London be considered 100% diverse? Surely only when there are no white people left in it at all - so not long to go now!
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Elliott » 06 Aug 2014, 22:39

Well, if "da stats" are to be believed, 81% of schoolchildren in inner London are non-white. So, really not long at all...
Elliott

PreviousNext

Return to Political Correctness