Weasel words and hyperbole

A topic which pervades many others

Re: Weasel words and hyperbole

Postby Charlie » 31 Aug 2014, 11:52

Charlie

Postby Kevin R » 31 Aug 2014, 12:47

That gave me quite a few hearty laughs.

In fact, it might even have been.. awesome..
Kevin R

Postby Charlie » 31 Aug 2014, 13:05

I’m glad that you enjoyed it, Kevin!

We aim to leverage such holistic-merth values as part of our posting-brand mission statement.
Charlie

Postby Elliott » 31 Aug 2014, 18:33

"a synergy-related head-count reduction"

LOL
Elliott

Postby Kevin R » 31 Aug 2014, 19:49

I say.. that's a nice strategic informational facility he's standing in front of. Or should I say, positioning the orientation of his dynamic in front of..

Looks like it might supply an ample opportunity for devolving knowledge-based curricula within an interface of multi-tasked sociality.
Kevin R

Postby Charlie » 07 Sep 2014, 09:52

Do you fancy making 195k per year in the public sector? Do you want to work for Staffordshire County Council?

I thought so...

Here’s the role for you!

“This is a career-defining appointment (and a modest one, too) for an exceptional leader who can deploy huge energy and innovation to meet the needs of a radically changing landscape for our residents (insert your own politically incorrect comment about Islam here). Our next Chief Executive will be at the forefront of re-defining Local Government leadership, in a sector that is experiencing unprecedented change and re-invention, characterised by courage, conviction and pace (and continuing to sweep the North Staffs scandal under the rug, for example).

Staffordshire County Council is a billion pound turnover organisation (perhaps you could tell your “residents” about that) that is transforming its leadership and business partnerships (more crony capitalism?) to ensure its residents are enabled to deal with a changing world of work, life, technology and health (and what about North Staffs?)

Ground-breaking public/private joint ventures (more crony capitalism), successful Local Enterprise Partnership, health partnerships and emerging community models (nubile ladies from Lichfield?) are indicative of the approach we are taking to build a new kind of public sector better able to identify and deliver what residents need (Plain English? Fewer public sector weasels workers?) now and in the future.

As an entrepreneurial Chief Executive, you will be an influential leader who inspires and harnesses innovation (these collocations are getting to me...), commitment and resources from a diverse set of stakeholders, bringing a global perspective (you’re in Cannock, not Tokyo!) to meet the needs of our residents. As Chief Executive you will need to lead through scale, complexity and ambiguity (quite). You will bring an inspirational, flexible and adaptive leadership style. You will be interested and curious about others and passionate about realising our ambitions for a transformed and prosperous Staffordshire.

Delivering a transformed Staffordshire over the next decade where individuals and families can prosper, take more responsibility for their own lives (there’s the cognitive dissonance of the public sector at work) and support others to do so is an imperative for this role.”

I could have picked any of the make-work job advertisements in today’s Appointments section of the newspaper, but one thing is clear: unless you speak fluent Weaselese, you won’t get to the top.
Charlie

Postby Gavin » 20 Sep 2014, 20:44

Nice weasel words spotted in the Wikipedia earlier!

"Evidence shows that the black population in London boroughs increases with the level of deprivation, and that the level of crime also increases with deprivation."

This was by an author, not from a source, and how terribly written it is!

The population increases with the level of "deprivation"? What? First of all, what is deprivation? There is arguably no such thing in this country. Secondly, how is more deprivation (even if we know what it is) going to result in more black people?

Thirdly, moving onto the next sentence, it is implied that that "deprivation" also leads to more crime. There is in fact no evidence that poverty (which is presumably meant) is the cause of criminality - or of generally dysfunctional lives - and in fact there is evidence of the contrary. By suggesting that poverty leads to criminality such writers do a great disservice perfectly law abiding people who are on low incomes.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Charlie » 29 Oct 2014, 12:10

This could easily fit in Gavin’s “Instances of corporate PC” thread, but never mind. If you’re able to translate any statements from the following videos into English, I’ll buy you a pint:

Charlie

Postby Yessica » 28 Nov 2014, 20:51

I was trying to buy a scented candle today. The shop-girl gave me a puzzled look, than said
Oh, you are talking about a aromatherapy candle

That must be how they are called now....
According to the packages the different candles had different effects like "calmness" or "inspiration". The shop-girl assured me a lot of people bought them as a present. I would be a bit insulted wouldn't presented with them mean I am nervous and uninspired - otherwise I wouldn't need them, would I?
Yessica

Postby Gavin » 28 Jan 2015, 12:23

Heard an NHS bureaucrat feminist on Radio 4 this morning speaking rather like an android and using the phrase "joined up approach". Thought this was a good one for the forum!
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Kevin R » 29 Jan 2015, 22:23

Gavin wrote:Heard an NHS bureaucrat feminist on Radio 4 this morning speaking rather like an android and using the phrase "joined up approach". Thought this was a good one for the forum!

Isn't there one of those on the M25 orbital?
Kevin R

Postby Charlie » 31 Jul 2015, 18:45

Charlie

Postby Kevin R » 14 Aug 2015, 23:31

Charlie wrote:This could easily fit in Gavin’s “Instances of corporate PC” thread, but never mind. If you’re able to translate any statements from the following videos into English, I’ll buy you a pint ...

I've watched two, but no more can I digest as I feel quite, quite nauseous.
Kevin R

Postby Danny » 07 Apr 2016, 09:26

The CSC videos left me feeling oddly deflated.

“We’ve been challenged to think beyond our space for the benefit of the future.”

“Synergies that can help people and communities with the support of modern technology.”

In particular my heart sank at the words “…putting aside my inner judgement” and the sad sight of a man boasting of his ability to shut his mind up.

Orwell condemned modern political language as attempts to lend ‘solidity to pure wind’. The language of modern business is just pure wind expressed in pure wind. It isn’t that these poor dead-eyed dupes are telling lies (wittingly or otherwise) - they’re simply saying nothing.

There’s no truth concealed in all their empty verbiage - it’s just empty bloody flim-flam.
Danny

Postby Charlie » 15 Apr 2016, 18:33

Danny wrote:There’s no truth concealed in all their empty verbiage - it’s just empty bloody flim-flam.

Absolutely!

And welcome to the forum, Danny, btw.
Charlie

Previous

Return to Political Correctness