Weasel words and hyperbole

A topic which pervades many others

Re: Weasel words and hyperbole

Postby Elliott » 19 Dec 2013, 00:32

That is hilarious, Caleb! My favourite bit is this:
The Recruitment Partner is responsible for identifying business needs... and successfully executing.

Can't have any incompetent executioners working for this company.

The whole advert really seems like it has either been badly translated from some other language, or written by a person who is borderline illiterate.

It will be taken down eventually, so here it is, preserved forever:

The Recruitment Partner, Specialized Segments is accountable to develop and implement a recruitment strategy that is aligned with BMO's employment brand and will build upon BMO's reputation as Employer of Choice

This role ensures that consistent, high quality recruiting practices are used, and reflect positively on BMO's competitive position in the marketplace for top talent. This role specifically focuses on talent acquisition for diversity across all lines of business in the . The role will enable the attraction of diverse talent into the organization and develop multiple talent pipelines for BMO lines of business through internships, direct hires, career programs, job readiness training programs, etc.

This role will also partner with external organizations through presentations, focus group meetings, and special events in order to build deep and lasting relationships that are a key pipeline for strategic intake roles for BMO.

The Recruitment Partner is responsible for identifying business needs, building business-centric strategies and plans, and successfully executing. The role requires in-depth knowledge in diversity recruiting practices and a commitment to identifying and executing differentiating tactics and strategies. Due to the interdependent nature of recruiting activities across LOBs and enterprise priorities (e.g. campus), the Recruitment Partner must build strong relationships and work effectively with their peers (i.e., other Recruitment Partners, Talent Acquisition Partners, etc.) in order to build and deliver a seamless and aligned recruitment experience across the organization.
Elliott

Postby Caleb » 19 Dec 2013, 06:25

Elliott: It does have a Google Translate feel, doesn't it?

In fact, how's this?

Recruitment Partner , specialized division , responsible for the development and implementation of employment is consistent with BMO 's brand , will build on BMO 's reputation as the best employer recruitment strategies

This role ensures that consistent high quality recruitment practices, as well as high-end talent market BMO 's competitive position reflects positive . This role especially across business lines in the whole focus is on the diversity of talent acquisition . Role will enable diverse talent attraction into the organization and through internships , direct employment , career planning, job readiness training , development and other multiple pipeline of talent for the enterprise BMO line

This role will also be presentations by external organizations partner to build deep and lasting relationships , is an important conduit intake group meetings and special events for the strategic role of Bank of Montreal .

Recruitment Partner is responsible for identifying business requirements , establish a business-centric strategies and plans , and successfully executed. This role requires in-depth understanding of a wide range of recruitment practices , and to identify and commitment to implement differentiated strategies and strategies. Because of interdependence , recruitment and business partners throughout the LOB priorities ( such as campus ) recruitment activities must build strong relationships with their peers ( ie other Recruitment Partners , talent acquisition partners, etc. ) to build and effective functioning of the entire organization to provide seamless alignment of recruitment experience

I used Google Translate to translate it from PC/HR to Chinese to English. Almost exactly the same and just as indecipherable!

On the other hand, it's like someone tried to get every single term from the PC Business Gobbledygook Handbook into one ad.
Caleb

Postby Charlie » 19 Dec 2013, 12:55

Caleb, you should send it to the (fantastic) Weasel Words website.
Charlie

Postby Charlie » 19 Dec 2013, 13:39

Let's edge closer to the precipice, my friends.
Charlie

Postby Mike » 19 Dec 2013, 19:44

Charlie wrote:Let's edge closer to the precipice, my friends.

Ha! The flowchart is magnificent.

Doesn't surprise me at all that it's from the Australian tertiary sector, either. Universities here are more corporatist than corporations are.
Mike

Postby Caleb » 20 Dec 2013, 00:30

Good grief! They just raised the stakes. A flow chart!

Also, what exactly is "benchmarking"? The guy who sat next to me in year 7 English carved his initials into his desk. Would that count as me having experience with benchmarking?
Caleb

Postby Maxwell » 20 Dec 2013, 12:56

Gavin wrote:A good article analysing the phenomenon of liberal newspeak.

Thanks for linking to this, Gavin. I'd not come across Daniel Greenfield before. Direct, succinct writing. Definitely a blog worth following.
Maxwell

Postby Gavin » 23 Mar 2014, 20:45

Another good article on the topic of pretentious jargon, this one in the audio technology magazine that I read.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 27 Mar 2014, 13:00

A celebrity couple "consciously uncouple".
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » 28 Mar 2014, 23:28

That reminds me of Tiger Woods' classic that he posted on his website, after it came out about how he'd been cheating on his wife with about nine other women: "Transgressions have been made" (!)

This post has reminded me of another one: activist, meaning Leftie troublemaker.
Nathan

Postby Andy JS » 31 Mar 2014, 14:11

How on earth is this going to be enforced?

"Parents who deliberately starve children of love face jail under new Cinderella Law

Changes to the child neglect laws will make “emotional cruelty” a crime for the first time, alongside physical or sexual abuse"
Andy JS

Postby Nathan » 31 Mar 2014, 18:07

Sir Trevor McDonald has taught me a new one today: "positive diversity". I guess by now people have worked out what "diversity" really means, so the powers that be have had to repackage the idea of promoting a lack of white people in a place that worked perfectly well when there were once mostly or all white people.

(I never had any reason to think badly of Trevor McDonald, by the way, but that was until he likened the media not having as many black people working in it as he would like to apartheid.)
Nathan

Postby Paul » 31 Mar 2014, 19:23

Yes, T. McDonald would put black rights over white rights. So it wouldn't be equal.

He can't help it, it was bound to come out because it's hard-wired into him. In a way you can't blame him. We would do the same, broadly speaking. Yes, yes, there might be individual cases and for sure there are undesirable white people, but broadly speaking.....

In addition, he's inundated with continuous propaganda telling him this is so. Doesn't matter how clever he is. Eventually........

I used to like him (can't specifically say I don't like him now) and thought he was equable, but he broke the mold some considerable time ago. I can't remember what it was exactly, but in the event - he would take sides. That much became clear.
Paul

Postby Gavin » 14 Apr 2014, 19:33

Some more weasely words the Left over-use:

“identity", “community”, “cohesion”, “narrative”

We might have mentioned some already - I just heard them all again from a Muslim Council of Britain apologist on Channel 4 News.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Kevin R » 17 Apr 2014, 17:11

Andy JS wrote:How on earth is this going to be enforced?

"Parents who deliberately starve children of love face jail under new Cinderella Law

Changes to the child neglect laws will make “emotional cruelty” a crime for the first time, alongside physical or sexual abuse"

Hmm.. I think the time is long overdue for new legislation protecting children from over-indulgence. Never before has Britain seen such a swelling of it's aristocracy in a time of equalitarianism, such are the ranks of little princes and princesses.
Kevin R

PreviousNext

Return to Political Correctness