Politically Incorrect Movies

A topic which pervades many others

Re: Politically Incorrect Movies

Postby Yessica » 12 Feb 2015, 08:36

I think Forrest Gump has not been mentioned so far.

It is actually more or less a funny movie but has some serious undertones.

Forrest, a low IQ man, is accidentally present at many historical incidents. That is the storyline.

Forrest is also family-orientated, a patriot and a tradionalist. His friend Jenny, much more intelligent, is the opposite. Now Forrest end up happy and she stumbles trough life and dies of AIDS.

Forrest is upbeat where the much smarter Jenny despairs about life.

I think that this is an interesting parable about the hippy generation in the USA.

On her deathbed Mrs. Gump, who brought up mentally and physically disabled Forrest, says "I happened to believe you make your won destiny. You have to do the best with what God gave you" which is contrary to what many a leftist believe.

While not a religious movie Forrest Gump has subtle religious undertones. The main character says that "life is like a box of candies - you never know what you get" - but like in case with the box of candies it is all good even if you don't see why it is at the moment.

It is an upbeat movie and I highly recommend it.
Yessica

Re: Politically Incorrect Movies

Postby Yessica » 20 Apr 2015, 15:24

The Englishman who went up a hill but came down a mountain.

I noticed that this is a movie set at the beginning of the 20th century which does not depict society at that time as cruel, cold and broken - one of the few I know of. Most movies I do know about that time are rather like "the white ribbon" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Ribbon).

There is a love story between a upper middle class man (Anson) and a working class woman (Betty) though it is not at the center of the story. It's interesting that he is not shown as a brute who just takes advantage of her poverty to marry a rich woman afterwards.
While the characters are from different classes it is not important for the movie. I think leftist will hate it for this - it does not have a class angle.

It's not really a political movie - but at least it does not buy into the old "all middle class people are exploiters" and "past times where just doom and gloom".

I will not tell you more of story because that will spoil it for you but it is an enjoyable one to watch and it is said to have that typical english humour.
Yessica

Previous

Return to Political Correctness