Politically Incorrect Movies

A topic which pervades many others

Politically Incorrect Movies

Postby Rachel » 18 Jun 2013, 06:11

We already have a thread on multiculturalism as portrayed in Hollywood but I thought it would be nice to have a thread on films that have other unPC views on other subjects such as crime, feminism etc. etc.
They can be old or modern films.
The only stipulation is that you have enjoyed them and would recommend them for entertainment.

I'll start the ball rolling with 2 films that have very unPC attitudes towards crime:

"Primal Fear" 1996
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117381/
with Richard Gere and Edward Norton (before his career took off. The performance he gives here is outstanding.)
I loved this film and it has a good twist at the end. The link I give describes it better than I can.

"The Cosh Boy" aka "The Slasher" in the US. aka Tough Guy
This is not as good as Primal Fear and is very dated. This 1953 film has the most harsh un PC ending I have ever seen.
This was the first British-made picture to be awarded an 'X' certificate. It was filmed amongst the bomb-sites of postwar London and is about teenager and his gang of juvenile delinquents who steal old ladies pocketbooks them smash them over the head.
Without parental control from his war-widowed doting mother, the teenager already on probation, drifts into more serious offences. The ending was too unPC and harsh even for me. It won't be everyone's cup of tea but I found it mildly interesting as a historical curiousity.

I recommend Primal Fear the most.
Rachel

Re: Politically Incorrect Movies

Postby Gavin » 18 Jun 2013, 11:43

Good thread. I will have to see Primal Fear! I had heard of it... There are some others too:

• Death Wish (the film if not the novel)
  • Most Clint Eastwood films (hero) - e.g. Dirty Harry, Unforgiven (I'd say westerns generally are quite conservative and un-PC)
  • Lakeview Terrace (with Samuel L Jackson) is very unusual in that it portrays a black LAPD sergeant who terrorizes his new next-door neighbours because they are an interracially married couple
  • The Believer with Ryan Gosling was quite un-PC in that it portrayed an anti-semitic Jew
  • American History X allowed a little bit of quite strong un-PC but then outweighed this with some pretty big doses of PC

That's all I can think of, for now, among the thousands of films and dramas (especially in the last 30 years) but there might be a few more...
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Michael » 18 Jun 2013, 15:13

A Clockwork Orange (both the film and the book) - denies the ideas both of the innate goodness of man and that culture and education are incompatible with brutality.

The Big Lebowski - pretty much from beginning to end a mockery of the ideals of the 1960s (free love, recreational drugs, vague anti-establishment politics) in the person of Jeff "The Dude" Lebowski.

Dredd (2012) - a film uncompromisingly on the side of law and order. The Judges of Mega City One are merciless but they are never excessive or cruel, unlike their criminal adversaries who are portrayed as universally degenerate and reprehensible. [Also had one of the best soundtracks I've heard in a film recently]

Aliens - sometimes the Other is just alien, menacing, and a threat to your survival. Some may object to its having a female protagonist, but I found Sigourney Weaver's performance credible and her character believable - the toughest woman in the film is not the space marine but the woman defending a child.
Michael

Postby Nick » 18 Jun 2013, 15:19

Three politically incorrect movies that come to my mind are Noise (about a man taking justice in his own hands), Office Space (rebellion against suffocating corporate nine to five culture), He was a Quiet Man (someone goes to office to start a shooting spree, then shoots someone who was about to do the same and becomes a hero) and Requiem for a Dream (showing how drugs, consumerism and TV culture isolate us from one another and bring us to doom). Then there is also the movie Harry Brown, basically about the average British guy not putting up with the crime and deterioration of his neighbourhood and starting to take action.
Nick

Postby Gavin » 18 Jun 2013, 18:10

Office Space - what a classic. I suppose it was fairly un-PC. Mike Judge's other film, Idiocracy, is certainly un-PC too, predicting as it does the downfall of civilisation if we keep on offering financial incentives for the least capable and productive people to have the most children.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Rachel » 18 Jun 2013, 18:23

Some very good suggestions here.

I will try to write more synopses as I come across more unPC films for the thread instead of just referring to Imdb.

Primal Fear plot starts out with a soft hearted lawyer (Richard Gere) who tries to defend a Catholic altar boy accused of a crime. Other than the unPC message on crime I can not say more because I don't want to give away the plot.

"Hud" (1963) with Paul Newman is an interesting film.
The basic plot is that there is an old man who owns a ranch in Texas. He has a immoral, womanising son called Hud (Paul Newman) who has a lot of charm.
The old man represents an old generation of Americans with values while the Hud character represents the young baby boomers and James Dean generation. The old man is upset about his young nephew idolising Hud and says :
"Little by little the look of the country changes because of the men we admire", which conservatives like to quote about the idolising of decadent, immoral celebrities we have today.
The movie makers intended the Hud character to be the baddie and meant the film to have a conservative message. Yet when it hit the box offices it got interpreted the opposite way by the young 60's baby boomers who saw Hud as the hero.
Rachel

Postby Paul » 18 Jun 2013, 23:31

Ho hum, a good thread yes. One of my favourites here - 'The Hill.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059274/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Sean Connery has said it's his favourite too, though Sean Connery has said a few other things, not exactly edifying, in his time. But never mind. It could be said to have an ending sympathetic to the prisoners, but the meat of the film is classic. All the old timers love this film. The black and white production makes it better than were it colour I would say.

The whole film is often on Youtube but seems to have been removed at the moment. The above is one of very many un PC moments.

I like the Brit prison classic 'Scum' also. No messing about, that's what's needed, though it is totally out of control of course in Scum.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079871/?ref_=sr_1

And while we're there, who can forget Full Metal Jacket?

Paul

Postby Nathan » 18 Jun 2013, 23:42

I've actually never seen the whole film of The African Queen, but there's a scene at the beginning of it that is so un-PC (and quite frankly, really offensive) in the way it depicts Africans as savages that even I cringed the first time I saw it. I was quite shocked that they actually do still show this scene when the film is shown on British TV.

Nathan

Postby Mike » 18 Jun 2013, 23:46

"Office Space" is one of my favourite films. All the "targets" in that film are thoroughly deserving of biting satire.

A recent determinedly un-PC film which is at times screamingly funny is Chris Morris's "Four Lions".
Mike

Postby Nathan » 18 Jun 2013, 23:57

How could I forget Four Lions?! Part of the appeal wasn't so much the plot, but the joy of watching something while thinking you were doing something fairly illicit in doing so, and wondering how the PC fascists had let this one slip through their grasp and how it was that I hadn't heard of mobs of people burning cinemas to the ground and cutting people's heads off for showing it. The rap scene:

Nathan

Postby Rachel » 19 Jun 2013, 03:06

Could everyone please point out how a film is politically incorrect when they make their suggestions?

For example I am curious how "Scum", the 70's film Paul suggested, is unPC?
Is it unPC in crime or on homosexuality or in some other way?
I have heard of that film but have never seen it.

The best unPC film regarding Islam ever: Carry On Follow That Camel (1967)

Skip to 1.43 and 1.56 of the video trailer to see the Arab leader brilliantly played by Bernard Breslaw. I like the way they substituted the name for Mohammed for the "Holy Prophet Musthave-a-leak".
Rachel

Postby Caleb » 19 Jun 2013, 04:39

Pretty much any 1980s comedy couldn't be made today. Here is a classic scene from Airplane:

The entire movie is quite politically correct.

Virtually every scene from National Lampoon's European Vacation is extremely politically incorrect. This one is not suitable for work, but is a classic.

National Lampoon's Vacation (which came before European Vacation) contains this scene that most definitely could not get made nowadays:

Most of the early Bond movies, whether Connery or Moore were extremely politically incorrect.

Lost in Translation took some flak for its portrayal of Japanese as a nation of buffoons.

Black Robe is a movie that pulls no punches about the brutality of native Americans. It's kind of an antidote to Dances with Wolves.

The Peter Sellers Pink Panther movies were obviously so politically incorrect that they completely removed the character of Cato in the recent remake. Here is a classic double whammy (Cato and the hunchback):

For those who don't understand the above, one of the common threads through all the movies is that the protagonist, Inspector Clouseau, has an oriental house boy, Cato, whose primary role is to keep his master on his toes by attempting to make surprise attacks on him and test his martial arts skills. These attacks frequently happen at the least opportune moments of each movie.
Caleb

Postby Elliott » 19 Jun 2013, 06:41

This is my favourite scene from Airplane...
Elliott

Postby Gavin » 19 Jun 2013, 09:57

I watched Primal Fear last night - it was great.

Here's one of my favourite Clint scenes (warning if needed - violent):

Clint films are un-PC, of course, because he is unashamedly a man defending women and he is the absolute antithesis of a liberal when it comes to crime and "understanding" criminals. I suppose his films are quite controversial now in the current climate but they're still great.

Yes, Bond also very un-PC and much loved by men and women for it despite what feminists go on about.

This was quite a good old scene from Crocodile Dundee too - I'm not sure you'd be allowed to show the mugger as a black man now. Nor would you be allowed to show a woman happy to be with a strong male, probably (absurd since this is obviously the state of nature) - she'd have to be kick boxing the muggers down now, straight out of Hollywood fantasyland.

Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » 19 Jun 2013, 12:44

How about the Damascus scene from Lawrence of Arabia?

Arab Tribalism, Honor and Shame make it impossible for them to so much as put out a fire to save the city.

I wouldn't say the film as a whole is politically incorrect - far from it - but certain uncomfortable truths are expressed clearly, without any sense of treading on dangerous ground.
Jonathan

Next

Return to Political Correctness