Politically Incorrect Movies

A topic which pervades many others

Re: Politically Incorrect Movies

Postby Michael » 19 Jun 2013, 15:42

My favourite Non-PC film of late is Harmony Korine's Spring Breakers. A lot of critics considered it to be an exploitation film, but I thought it was an excellent commentary on the decadence of youth "culture" and about the triumph of relativism and hedonistic indulgence over virtue and character. I discussed it in another topic but thought it worth mentioning again here.

While not as profound or as well made I would consider it a good companion piece to Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange.

Check out the trailer (warning: NSFW) (also, ignore the French subtitles - this is the international trailer - the subtitles aren't in the film).

Michael

Postby Paul » 19 Jun 2013, 23:10

Rachel wrote:Could everyone please point out how a film is politically incorrect when they make their suggestions?

For example I am curious how "Scum", the 70's film Paul suggested, is unPC?
Is it unPC in crime or on homosexuality or in some other way?
I have heard of that film but have never seen it.

The film is a depiction of a Borstal (young offenders' institution) in the 1970s. Borstal (correctly called Borstal Training) was the most serious type of imprisonment for young offenders, where full adult prison may have been invoked for an older person (over 21 I think) for the same offence(s)..

I'm not sure I would recommend anyone to watch Scum, particularly a woman, but then again, it is a complex look at crime and punishment and worthy of some thought. It is brutal and rather shocking, especially to a modern British audience. There's a bad male rape scene - that's a warning - and there's plenty more brutal violence.

More than a bit of the violence is from the officers and the 'system'. So it does show that by the 1970s, there was a lot wrong with youth justice and the system actually churned out young men even more criminalised and/or brutalised.

There are many un PC moments, including the almost mandatory violence from staff. I would agree with quite a bit of the PC in that respect though. Many of the officers are little better than the inmates and their morality is atrocious. But, the liberal mind will jump (and no doubt has jumped) all over it and use it to decry the entire system. So it's a difficult one.

The treatment of black inmates, by staff and co-inmates is extremely un PC.

There's little doubt, in almost all cases, that the inmates are guilty of their charges, mostly theft-related and violence it would seem. But there's doubtless one or two who have may been unlucky in court for a first offence and been unduly sentenced to such an institution. Maybe one or two shouldn't have been there and been at less strict establishments. The rape victim is a tragic figure, a meek boy who is only there because he ran away from his previous, more-open establishment.

You can imagine that many of the inmates may have come from broken homes or even local authority care. They represent the underclass of the 1970s, which, being very much a smaller caste back then, were in some ways far more noticeable and maybe more poignant. Almost certainly they will all be from poor, working-class backgrounds. These type of people will always exist I contend, no matter how perfect the country is running but it does seem that by the 1970s, the system in place for dealing with them was less than ideal itself.

A classic scene is when the inmate Archer informs the governor that he is thinking of becoming a Muslim (though he phrases it better than that), in the hope of demanding more priveleges and for the sheer awkwardness value. The governor, being a staunch Christian and of the old-school type of prison governor (probably ex military back then) is less than impressed. Contrast that with what we hear is happening in UK prisons today.

Oh yes, there are 2 versions of this film, 1977, as a BBC TV version and 1979, when it was released again as a film, with most all, but not exactly, the same actors. I've only ever seen the 1979 version. I doubt the BBC would show the 1977 version now.
Paul

Postby Caleb » 20 Jun 2013, 03:34

Elliott: There are just too many good scenes in Airplane to show. We might as well just post the entire movie. An absolute classic that could in no way, shape or form be made today.

Gavin: Clint is great.

Classic Paul Hogan, too.

Jonathan: That's such a classic movie. I remember watching it several times as a kid with my father.
Caleb

Postby Rachel » 20 Jun 2013, 07:21

Thank you Paul for your review. I read other reviews on it but could never stomach watching the film because they all say how harsh it is. It always sounded like a Politically Correct film against borstal/prison harshness, that's why I was surprised at your recommendation and wanted to know why.

I just want everyone to point out briefly which way a film is uPC rather than only give a title.

I have 2 more anti Muslim unPC nominations

Exodus (1960) A pro-Israeli film like this would never ever be made today. Now here I am slightly bending my stipulation that we must only suggest films we enjoyed. I find that I can only enjoy this film when I use the fast forward button a lot. Whoever did the editing for this movie should have been sacked. It's too long for 3 hours.
It's about the Jewish refugees going to 1940's British ruled Palestine and the events up to the Israeli war of independance. The only reasons I like it are the performances of Paul Newman, Sal Mineo and a few good dramatic scenes. I only recommend this if you both do a lot of fast forwarding and are specially interested in the period. It has one saintly Arab Muslim character who works with the main Jewish hero character (Paul Newman) and believes in co-existance. He gets murdered by his fellow Arabs for not joining them in the war. That particular bit sounds like contrived propoganda but is quite common even today in Gaza for anyone suspected of being a "collaborator" and they don't always bother with giving fair trials to anyone unlucky enough to be accused.

2nd unPC anti Islam film is: "Not Without My Daughter" (1991)
This thriller is the real life story of an American woman who married an Iranian man, and then went to live in Iran with him. He began to seriously mistreat her and I can't reveal the rest without spoiling it. In short, it's a good example of how real life can be more terrifying than fiction.
Rachel

Postby Connor » 21 Jun 2013, 06:12

I really loved the film Marie Antoinette (2006) directed by Sofia Coppola. It was a pleasant surprise that a modern movie chose to portray the Ancien Regime in such a positive (and charming) light. I think it was a much bolder idea than any of the "transgressive" films that have come out in the last decade.

Marie Antoinette is perhaps history's quintessential Rich White Girl, and so I found it fascinating that Sofia Coppola decided to tell her story from an almost entirely sympathetic angle. The film is a highly fantasized version of historical events, but that's exactly what I liked about it. It's the polar opposite of the "gritty realism" school of filmmaking, which has simply become another affectation by now. The way that this film can make the viewer feel nostalgic for Monarchy and Aristocracy means, perhaps, that this film is something more than just "politically incorrect." It's downright reactionary!

I've always wondered what left-wing French cineastes think of this film, as it's probably indistinguishable from Triumph of the Will in their minds. Apparently, the audience booed during the Cannes Film Festival screening!

Anyway, if you like watching stylized, heavily visual films, then Marie Antoinette might be the kind of un-PC feast for you.
Connor

Postby Caleb » 21 Jun 2013, 06:47

I've wanted to see that movie for some time, and I must get around to finding it. I am a big fan of Sofia Coppola's aesthetic sense in both The Virgin Suicides and Lost in Translation and I think she has great potential as a director. I haven't seen any of her more recent works though.
Caleb

Postby Grant » 21 Jun 2013, 08:08

Gavin, I'm glad you nominated "Dirty Harry". It is THE film that pokes the greatest derision at the liberal elite. I love the scene where Harry's superior talks about Scorpio's rights and Harry's response is - who speaks for the dead girl's rights? Sadly police have been hamstrung by lenient judges and a wimpish media.
Grant

Postby Gavin » 21 Jun 2013, 08:24

Here is that scene. "Well I'm all broken up about that man's rights."

Clint looks great at this time. We actually have a running joke in my family that my Dad looks a bit like Clint! Maybe that explains some of my liking of him - that and of course his hardline conservatism. What a hero.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Grant » 21 Jun 2013, 10:40

Gavin, Thank you! Are you able to also get the scene where Harry's superior questions him about the bashing of Scorpio? When pressed as to why he wasn't the person who did the damage, I'm pretty sure Harry replies it wasn't him because "he looks too good"!
Grant

Postby Gavin » 21 Jun 2013, 11:15

No problem, Grant. Yes, that's a great line too! Appears at 1'34" through this very satisfying montage:

Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Yessica » 27 Jun 2013, 11:40

I'd like to suggest "Sherlock" (the TV series - not to be confused with the latest Sherlock Holmes movies).

Reasons why it is politically incorrect:

* Sherlock is pretty smart and he knows it and is not ashamed to let it show
* PC thinking holds that talents and traits of character do not run in families, yet Sherlocks brother Mycroft is just as smart and peculiar as Sherlock himself,
* He is posh and still the "good guy"
* We never learn about Moriarty's unhappy childhood

Warning: Some will not like that fact that there is only a slight resemblance between the book by Doyle and the series
Yessica

Postby Rachel » 16 Sep 2013, 01:06

Connor wrote:I really loved the film Marie Antoinette (2006) directed by Sofia Coppola. It was a pleasant surprise that a modern movie chose to portray the Ancien Regime in such a positive (and charming) light.!...

...Anyway, if you like watching stylized, heavily visual films, then Marie Antoinette might be the kind of un-PC feast for you.

I came across this film on cable recently. Normally I hate heavily visual modern films and that director's. But I gave this a chance because of the recommendation. I enjoyed it very much. It was absolutely beautiful.

Another film I want to recommend which is a completely different genre is "Mr Skeffington" (1944)
It follows a woman who marries her brother's boss at work. She marries him just to get her brother out of trouble and to secure a comfortable wealthy life for herself. Mr Skeffington is just as shallow as Mrs Skeffington, in that he married her just for her beauty. Her brother is furious. That is just the start. The plot that goes on from that is much better.
It has an interesting message about vanity, beauty and shallowness. I think it is very unPC in it's message about marriage and women.

It is unusual in that it depicts a mixed religion marriage in 1944. Hollywood did not start depicting mixed marriages until the 1960's.
I was hesitant to recommend this because I notice that a lot of men here like modern films. If you must have fast pace CGI graphics and do not like black and white films, then do not watch this.
If you like old films with a deep message then this is a great melodrama. Bette Davis and Claude Rains are very good too.
Rachel

Connor wrote:I really loved the film Marie Antoinette (2006) directed by Sofia Coppola. It was a pleasant surprise that a modern movie chose to portray the Ancien Regime in such a positive (and charming) light.!...

...Anyway, if you like watching stylized, heavily visual films, then Marie Antoinette might be the kind of un-PC feast for you.

I came across this film on cable recently. Normally I hate heavily visual modern films and that director's. But I gave this a chance because of the recommendation. I enjoyed it very much. It was absolutely beautiful.

Another film I want to recommend which is a completely different genre is "Mr Skeffington" (1944)
It follows a woman who marries her brother's boss at work. She marries him just to get her brother out of trouble and to secure a comfortable wealthy life for herself. Mr Skeffington is just as shallow as Mrs Skeffington, in that he married her just for her beauty. Her brother is furious. That is just the start. The plot that goes on from that is much better.
It has an interesting message about vanity, beauty and shallowness. I think it is very unPC in it's message about marriage and women.

It is unusual in that it depicts a mixed religion marriage in 1944. Hollywood did not start depicting mixed marriages until the 1960's.
I was hesitant to recommend this because I notice that a lot of men here like modern films. If you must have fast pace CGI graphics and do not like black and white films, then do not watch this.
If you like old films with a deep message then this is a great melodrama. Bette Davis and Claude Rains are very good too.
Rachel

Rachel

Postby Grant » 19 Sep 2013, 11:13

I don't think The D.I. has been nominated yet. Made in 1957 it tells the story of a USMC drill instructor, played by Jack Webb, who has a particularly disruptive recruit who he has to eventually whip into shape. It came before Full Metal Jacket and a Officer and a Gentleman, setting the standard for all military training films. It also didn't disguise the fact that those in the armed services need to kill better than their enemy or they would be dead. Social niceties and diplomacy didn't get a look in.
Grant

PreviousNext

Return to Political Correctness