Political correctness and sport

A topic which pervades many others

Political correctness and sport

Postby Nathan » 31 Jul 2013, 12:03

The title should really be "Political correctness and football", since no other sport in Britain has caught such a virulent strain of the disease.

There has already been talk of spy cameras in stadiums to catch supporters making racist gestures or comments and 92-point action plans in how to deal with racism, now Liverpool FC has issued its stewards with a list of what must be at least 30 "unacceptable" words and phrases to listen out for.

Many of those words and phrases are blanked out apart from the first letter, and I'm not sure I've even ever heard of a lot of them! Some of the "sexist" phrases on the banned list refer to supporters telling players they "play like a girl" and telling them to "man up". It's a wonder how football is been able to keep such a dominant position as the working man's game with ticket prices being on a par with opera house tickets, clubs being owned by billionaires and represented on the pitch by millionaires, fewer and fewer of whom have any connection at all to the town or even the continent where the team is based, and considering the sport is being used as a laboratory for all this nonsense. Not all sports are that bad!

Apparently, Liverpool FC has already achieved Kick it Out's (the anti-discrimination group being allowed to dictate all this stuff to football clubs) equality standard preliminary level - one for the trophy cabinet! - so I went on Kick it Out's website to see what their idea of an ideal, anti-racist and 100% diverse football looks like:

The same organisation yesterday called for more diversity in a sport where 62% of the players in England's top division are not English born, the proportion of non-white players is twice the proportion in the general population and no English manager has won the league in more than 20 years. In the words of the group's director, when speaking about football management:

Roisin Wood wrote:When it comes down to the final two equally qualified candidates, then it's about looking where your levels of under-representation are at the club...It's about positive action.

But we have to look at the diversification in the whole of football though. We also need to get women and those with disabilities in higher levels.

Clubs shouldn't do it because it's morally right, but they should do it as a business case - people want to work in a diverse workplace.

Why do we need to get women and those with disabilities in higher levels of football management, when none of them will have any first-hand experience of playing top-level football themselves?

Ms Wood lecturing multi-million pound businesses on good business practice made me query what her background is which makes her such an expert: she has never worked for a football club, never worked in industry, but has spent her working life in non-jobs such as 'Head of Equalities and Diversity' and 'Community Engagement Manager'. Interestingly for such a lover of diversity, she comes from that overlooked textbook example right on our doorstep of what happens when diversity doesn't work - Northern Ireland.
Nathan

Re: Political correctness and sport

Postby Elliott » 31 Jul 2013, 16:30

A string of great (and hilarious) points there, Nathan. I can only agree. You paint a picture of the absurdity of it all.

The picture from Kick It Out's website... you wouldn't even create that for a satire because people would say it was too ridiculous to be true. I don't like slogans but the thing about "anti-racist is a codeword for anti-white" does seem to be increasingly spot-on. The diversity lobbyists won't be happy until there isn't a single white person left on Earth.

As for "people want to work in a diverse workplace"... where is Ms Wood's evidence for that? And were the interviewees speaking candidly, or with the gun of summary sacking pointed at their heads?

The racial self-hate just oozes out of the entire diversity industry.
Elliott

Postby Charlie » 31 Jul 2013, 17:26

I'd just like to add that you can see an uncensored picture of Liverpool FC's list of words (you know, the ones which no one must ever utter again) on the Independent's website: here's the link. It looks like something from Roger's Profanisaurus!

I don't think that these people have ever listened to football supporters, have they?
Charlie

Postby Nathan » 31 Jul 2013, 21:32

Charlie wrote:I'd just like to add that you can see an uncensored picture of Liverpool FC's list of words (you know, the ones which no one must ever utter again) on the Independent's website: here's the link. It looks like something from Roger's Profanisaurus!

I don't think that these people have ever listened to football supporters, have they?

Wow, "gypsy" (I thought this was the euphemism compared to the word I more commonly hear! What do we have to call them instead then - travellers?), "coloured" (A bit old-fashioned perhaps, but hardly an insult), "fairy", "princess" (I have never heard these words seriously used to describe an effeminate man in my life, certainly not as an adult!) and "midget" (What's wrong with that?!) are all too much for their sensitive souls!

This is the club whose supporters sing songs about the Munich air disaster and "Harold Shipman killed your gran!" at Manchester United fans, who reply with songs about the Hillsborough disaster and "Could be worse, could be Scouse, eating rats in a council house!".
Nathan

Postby Nathan » 31 Jul 2013, 22:11

More PC in sport: of all our Olympic gold medal winners last year, who did the media make the biggest deal out of? Most would probably say Mo Farah, who was born in Somalia, and therefore represents a triumph for our far-sighted immigration policy, and Jessica Ennis, who is mixed race, and thus represents integration at its best. Both first-class athletes, and from what I've seen on TV perfectly nice people, but judging by this group photo of our 2012 Olympic champions how representative do they seem to be?

Nathan

Postby Caleb » 01 Aug 2013, 00:41

"Did you hear there was a burst pipe at Buckingham Palace last night? The Queen had to get a man up in the ceiling because it was dis-coloured from all the water."

"Right! You, out! Homophobic, sexist and racist!"

I didn't see the words muppet or clown in there, perhaps they'd be appropriate for those who came up with all of this.
Caleb

Postby Paul » 02 Aug 2013, 21:36

That football affair is bewildering and almost unbelievable, even in these astonishing times.

What changes, and problems, football has undergone and of course caused in many ways. But aside from the bad stuff (difficult I know) it has changed from a working-class and somewhat tribal affair that nonetheless was fiercely patriotic and community-based, into a completely corporate affair. It's now just too big for the spotlight of PC not to fall upon it.

Without trying to annoy females, is it not the result that as the game has expanded and women have very much more joined the football fold, then this sort of thing has emerged? There will of course be a ready supply of male apologists.

My fear is if, or when, insane PC attention turns upon cricket.
Paul

Postby Caleb » 03 Aug 2013, 05:57

It already has I think. I recall years ago that one Australian player got in trouble for sledging, though I can't recall whether it was racist or not. A player also got in trouble for saying a few things about an opposing player (somewhere from the Indian sub-continent) in the locker room after he was dismissed because the locker room had a microphone in it. Tell me the other lot (players and spectators) don't say tons of stuff about Australians or other mono-lingual players in languages other than English, both on and off the field.
Caleb

Postby Jonathan » 06 Aug 2013, 19:15

I'm sure that millions of Europeans are breathing a sigh of relief, knowing that the drunken vandalism which occasionally follows a football match against a British team will be conducted without those vile racial epithets.

It's a question of priorities, you see.
Jonathan

Postby Nathan » 06 Dec 2013, 14:09

The football associations in England and Scotland have decided that all matches this weekend are to be preceded by a minute's applause in memory of Nelson Mandela (the football authorities opted against a similar gesture after Margaret Thatcher's death). It would be interesting to go along to a game just to gauge the fans' genuine level of enthusiasm for the idea.
Nathan

Postby Nathan » 22 Mar 2014, 11:30

This one is just absurd. Butch Fazal, from the National Asians in Football Forum (oh dear!), has invited about 100 women from Bedfordshire's South Asian community (who is doing the segregating here?) to watch Luton Town play Chester City later today.

Mr Fazal said there was a "lack of provision and opportunities for South Asian women not only to participate, but also watch football". Hello? They live in a town that has a professional team, how do they have less provision or opportunity to watch football than anybody else in Luton (where, I hasten to add, white British people went from comprising 65% of the population in 2001 to under 45% ten years later)? Who, apart from the obvious answer, which of course is the menfolk in their own "community", is stopping them from kicking a ball around in the park once in a while, if that's what tickles their fancy?

I've heard the same things said about Bradford. I've never been to Luton, but I do know that Bradford City's stadium is in a neighbourhood called Manningham which has been almost entirely colonised by Muslims, which I can't imagine is somewhere you'd relish having to walk through after dark as a lone man if you're white, but one Muslim girl in a hijab defies that horrible racist white patriarchy by going along to a game, and out of 22,000 fans who were there all of a sudden she's BBC Asian Network's (oh dear) folk heroine!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21541329
Nathan

Postby Nathan » 05 May 2014, 08:57

Steve Davis has said that he doesn't expect to ever see a woman compete at the World Snooker Championships, though there is no rule preventing them playing, unlike of course for the women's championship where men are excluded.

Steve Davis wrote:Women tend to lack that single minded determination in something that must be said is a complete waste of time - trying to put snooker balls into pockets with a pointed stick.

Men are ideally suited to doing something as absolutely irrelevant in life as that. They're the ones who have train sets in the loft. They have stamp collections to die for. Right? These are stupid things to do with your life. As is trying to practise eight hours a day to get to World Championship level.

So therefore I think we are also the idiots of the species as well. The male of the species has got a single-minded, obsessional type of brain that I don't think so many females have.

The world's number one female player actually agrees with him.

Maria Catalano wrote:I do agree with Steve – I don’t think women will ever compete with men at the top level. I believe that male and female species are wired mentally different. A woman’s brain is better at multitasking. I believe a man is more single-minded, so has a stronger concentration on one thing at a time.

No mention of the more controversial idea of there also perhaps not being many women in the top 1% in terms of hand-eye co-ordination, a group which presumably snooker champions all belong to - as far as I am aware the top women archers and shooters are not as good as the top men either. Still, cue some Guardian outrage!

Love this comment though:

I wonder how many of those queuing up to call him a dinosaur for suggesting that men might me better at focusing on one single obsessional goal, have quite happily claimed that women are better at 'multi-tasking'.
Nathan

Return to Political Correctness