Political correctness

A topic which pervades many others

Re: Political correctness

Postby Gavin » 16 Apr 2013, 12:30

Yes, it's always good to see the plain truth stated like that. Women, in general, are not suited to the high pressures, both physical and mental, of Formula 1 driving, and that is obvious. They usually do not have the split second reactions, the spacial skills or even the interest in the sport. Obviously they have other areas in which they excel, but then I shouldn't really need to add that. If there were women as good or better, the teams would of course use them because then they would make more money.

As for why older men tend to tell the truth openly like this, I agree it is partly because they are from a different era and just don't buy into all the PC. But also people who are on pensions etc. are at last free to tell the truth: they don't have to worry about the female HR person who will not employ them because they are aware of their views from Facebook or somewhere (despite, perhaps even because of, those views being actually well founded). They don't have to worry about getting a date either, as much of that is now done with for them (though I'm not sure telling the truth like this is always such a problem in this regard - the confidence will meet with a show of anger but probably also an inner respect).

The professional issue is a problem though, I think. It seems very strange that something can receive so many recommends yet be unsayable without anonymity. Frankly it is akin to thought crime.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » 16 Apr 2013, 13:27

Deviating from the "political correctness" theme a little and going more into feminism, another reason why there have been no female F1 drivers of note is perhaps that compared to men there are fewer of them with the supreme levels of hand-eye co-ordination needed to make it at the top.

I remember about five years ago in darts, probably the least athletic sport going but one which demands one of the highest levels of co-ordination, the darts authorities thought it would be a good idea to give the world women's champion (a moderately good-looking, 20-something Russian woman, so not the typical darting type!) a place on the men's tour (which otherwise a player would have to qualify for on merit) and a wildcard place into some of the top tournaments (again, which other players would have to earn their place in) to help promote and diversify the sport. She was hyped up so much that I felt sorry for her when she lost nearly every game and later decided she'd be better off going back to dominating the women's events.

The sad thing is was that the embarrassment caused could so easily have been avoided. There is no way of quantifying how a darts player's temperament copes with the pressures of the extra attention and higher profile of the men's game, but it is easy to quantify a player's average score over a long period, because it is basically just the player against the board with few external factors - comparing her statistics with the players on the men's tour it was obvious she was going to find it a very big step up in quality, but good intentions overrode common sense.
Nathan

Postby Caleb » 22 Apr 2013, 00:57

I wasn't even sure where to put this, so I thought I'd just put it here. On the weekend, I met a rather colourful character who was quite politically incorrect. He's French, I'd say about in his late fifties or early sixties (he has three adult daughters). He was previously in the French navy, but now he's a professional martial arts teacher in Taiwan.

The people at my club (which is very small and doesn't have a lot of high grades) suggested I go to another city with them to watch a competition and to get to train with lots more high level teachers, and they also told me there would be at least one other foreigner there -- the French guy (because it's pretty rare to meet other Westerners who do kendo here). That was all great in itself, but I was quite pleasantly surprised to meet a foreigner in Taiwan who wasn't a naive, liberal, English teacher. Such people are rare as hen's teeth.

We talked about culture, conservatism, Islam, etc. and he noted that he couldn't discuss such things back in France. What is interesting about that is that due to his career (he was an interpreter/liaison officer), he speaks several languages (at least French, Spanish, Portuguese, English and Chinese, plus a fair bit of Japanese, apparently) and has travelled to more than fifty countries and lived in several (including in Africa and the Middle East). His position was nuanced enough to acknowledge that he liked most of the places he has been to (except Pakistan -- why doesn't that surprise anyone?), liked many of the people he met, and can even appreciate certain elements of the cultures (he's obviously interested in East Asian cultures to a fair extent -- he was wearing traditional Japanese clothes at dinner on Saturday). He was in places such as Angola, Bosnia and Kuwait during, or immediately after, the times when things were pretty hot. Yet despite (or because of) all that, he still knows what's what regarding a hierarchy of cultures (i.e. that the West is the best). He was particularly critical of what's happening regarding Islam in France right now.
Caleb

Postby Nathan » 28 May 2013, 11:24

I've mentioned Formula 1 and darts in this thread, now something about golf. To cut a long story short, Tiger Woods and Sergio Garcia don't like each other very much. When asked if he would do anything to clear the air between the two of them, Sergio Garcia joked that he would invite Tiger Woods round for some fried chicken - it should be borne in mind that Sergio Garcia is Spanish, from a culture with a much less acute sense of political correctness, and was speaking at a dinner held by the European Tour.

He has been made to apologise, and the National Negro Golf Association issued the following statement to Garcia's sponsor:

We call on TaylorMade to suspend Mr Garcia from his role as a sponsored PGA Tour professional immediately until he has had the opportunity to receive diversity and inclusion training and developed a better sense of our nation's history, multicultural demographic and sensitivities.

The Professional Golf Association has also considered the potential need to supply Garcia with extra security at next month's US Open. Would the reaction have been similar if Tiger Woods had joked about inviting Garcia round for some paella?
Nathan

Postby Paul » 28 May 2013, 12:20

I was going to comment on this story the other day, but got side-tracked onto other links and forgot to do so!

How ridiculous it all is. Diversity and inclusion training. I would just laugh at anyone now who said this to me ... and then reply, probably just using two words. I suppose you can guess what those two words might be!

Tiger Woods has 'sensitivities' I see. He's a damned billionaire or thereabouts, I suspect. Imagine having a billion quid in the bank. Would you be sensitive about anything? You could just drive away from it in a brand new Maserati or whatever takes your fancy.

But why would you be 'sensitive' at being offered fried chicken? Cooked properly, it's very nice. I would wager that Tiger Woods enjoys fried chicken, though he probably dines on finer fare these days - then again maybe not, or not all the time. If I was a billionaire, then I'm sure that some days I would hanker for fish and chips - preferably served in newspaper and with salt & vinegar!

Woe betide anyone who suggested fish and chips though - I would be terribly 'offended'. Of course.

It may be that Tiger isn't offended at all and he may have grinned at the comment, but that won't do for his handlers and the namby-pamby attitude of others oh-so concerned with all this.
Paul

Postby Elliott » 28 May 2013, 14:12

Nathan wrote:the National Negro Golf Association

I laughed out loud at this. I wonder if there's an equivalent for black snooker players? It could be called the 8-Ball Association.

Elliott

Postby Elliott » 07 Jun 2013, 17:49

I've just discovered this Youtube commenter, "LindyBeige", and I really enjoy his videos. Good diction and he seems a nice guy. Here he is on the issue of PC:
Elliott

Postby Grant » 08 Jun 2013, 05:46

Brilliant! Like the little boy in "The Emperor's New Clothes" we just needed clarity of thought and expression to help others see. To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, "I wish I'd said that!"
Grant

Postby Gavin » 08 Jun 2013, 20:44

I like not only what Lloyd says but also his excellent diction and his manner. He seems pleasant and genuine - not to take away his originality but a bit like a cross between Richard E. Grant and Hugh Laurie (though I assume both of those are, alas, leftists!).
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » 10 Jun 2013, 08:26

His speech is well-delivered, and his manner is congenial, but his argument is a little superficial. He's forgotten that the idea of Political Correctness has its origin in the sad fact that tens of millions of humans enthusiastically embraced a particular triangular wheel (racial xenophobia) and danced with it to a war which killed tens of millions of humans.

PC originated as a leash on the thoughts of man not out of fear that his mind will perceive the folly of an idea, but out of fear that his heart will chase after it regardless of its folly.

This is not to say that Political Correctness is a good idea; it is to say that the argument against it is a more subtle one.
Jonathan

Postby Elliott » 10 Jun 2013, 14:36

Jonathan, I agree that the argument is superficial. He's a really enjoyable guy to listen to but he's no philosopher, clearly! Nonetheless, I think what he's saying is true, even though he isn't delving very deep: something that is politically correct probably isn't generally correct, and that's precisely why it has to be made politically correct otherwise people wouldn't do it or approve of it.
Elliott

Postby Elliott » 15 Jun 2013, 00:50

I don't know if there is a more appropriate thread for this, but it is certainly uber PC so this one is good enough. You really are not going to believe this video, trust me.

This was linked by somebody in one of the Facebook groups of which I am a member. Here's what I just posted in the comment thread:

What a total joke of a video. Maybe if African countries become rich and powerful, and European countries become poor and weak, this could happen. But it would be a historical first. And instead of making white people feel guilty about that (which is exactly and solely what this video is designed to do) we should be looking at ways of getting our houses in order and then doing more to help Africa.
Elliott

Postby Jonathan » 16 Jun 2013, 08:25

Elliott wrote:I don't know if there is a more appropriate thread for this, but it is certainly uber PC so this one is good enough. You really are not going to believe this video, trust me.

So let's see if I understand what the makers of this video are trying to say: If white people were fleeing Europe to Africa or the Middle East, obviously the right thing to do would be to accomodate them; therefore, we should accomodate all black people who are immigrating to Europe.

Who could argue with that? Yet there is one question I would like to ask the producer of this video:

Between 1939 and 1948 millions of white Europeans were, in fact, trying to flee Europe for the Middle East, and encountered that same immigration policy shown in the video. To be precise, these were Jews fleeing for Palestine, who were denied immigration visas by the British Mandate, and had their ships turned back, or were sent to internment camps in Cyprus, in accordance with the 1939 White Paper. Should they have been accommodated?

Then I sit back and watch his PC head explode as he tries to choose between two impossible options: Either support the creation of Israel, or have his counter-arguments used verbatim against Muslim immigrants.
Jonathan

Postby Elliott » 16 Jun 2013, 08:48

It is disappointing, to say the least, that the British government was not more helpful to Jews fleeing Germany.

On the subject of the video, what's quite funny is that it assumes that people care most about members of their own race, so in order to make whites sympathise with Africans they've swapped the races around.

But that was a mistake.

On Facebook, liberals were denouncing the video as racist. The standard line was, "this video doesn't work on me, because I care about everyone equally".

Here's the trouble. The video's "impact" relies on a fact about human nature - that people tend to care most about members of their own race - which has been declasse for many years now. According to modern liberalism, people don't prefer members of their own race (because, if they did, mass immigration would be a recipe for disaster). So this advert contravenes years of liberal "progress", in order to make a liberal point!
Elliott

Postby Yessica » 19 Jun 2013, 16:19

I needed a newer flash player to watch the English version, so I just watched the German one... in which they say "We needed to leave Berlin as it was no longer safe". Is it the same city in the English version?

If yes, that example is horribly ill-chosen.

Why? People had to flee Eastern-Berlin until 1989 because of too much leftism not a lack of it. It was not safe for people voicing another political oppinion.
And right now? A lot of Germans would say Berlin is no longer safe right now. It has become quite inhospitable because of high crime rates. A lot of families are "fleeing" it... This has happened because of leftist politicans in power.

So this video could as well tell the viewer "look what will happen in Germany if leftists are given too much power".
Yessica

PreviousNext

Return to Political Correctness