Labour lays siege to Thomas the Tank

A topic which pervades many others

Labour lays siege to Thomas the Tank

Postby Elliott » 27 Dec 2013, 16:25

Well, only one Labour MP, to be honest. But it's a start, and hopefully soon the entire Labour party will realise that this is really a national emergency: there aren't enough female engines in Thomas the Tank Engine.

For God's sake, what shall be done about it...!? And how will we force the programme makers to introduce more female engines? Obviously the Equalities Act didn't go far enough.
Elliott

Thomasina the Black Tank Engine

Postby Charlie » 27 Dec 2013, 17:22

I'm lobbying for "The Fat Controller" to be forever more referred to as "The Differently Weighted Controller", which is a much fairer term.
Charlie

Thomas the Tank Engine - Narrated by Laurie Penny

Postby Charlie » 27 Dec 2013, 17:38

Episode 1: Thomas is made to check his white, male privilege.
Charlie

Re: Thomasina the Black Tank Engine

Postby Elliott » 27 Dec 2013, 17:59

Charlie wrote:I'm lobbying for "The Fat Controller" to be forever more referred to as "The Differently Weighted Controller", which is a much fairer term.

Better yet, "a non-gender-specific controlling person of intense plumpitude".
Elliott

Re: Thomasina the Black Tank Engine - narrated by Harriet Harman

Postby Charlie » 27 Dec 2013, 18:16

Elliott wrote:
Charlie wrote:I'm lobbying for "The Fat Controller" to be forever more referred to as "The Differently Weighted Controller", which is a much fairer term.

Better yet, "a non-gender-specific controlling person of intense plumpitude".

Ha! Excellent!

But look, could we not make Gordon into a member of the transgender community?

I just think that children should be made aware of transphobic feminism.

I'm off for a lie-down.
Charlie

Re: Labour lays siege to Thomas the Tank

Postby Kevin R » 27 Dec 2013, 22:35

I've been a railway enthusiast most of my life, and it's still common to hear steam-locomotives referred to by the generic pro-noun of 'she' : "The Mallard is late.. She must have had an unscheduled signal-check at York.." The same applied, traditionally, to the great ships and Ocean-Liners..

Considering that a steam locomotive's visceral power and presence might be construed by most as something rather more redolent of a 'machismo' in metal than a delicate femininity, I've always thought that the contrary use of the female descriptor as a charming use of language, a remnant of the dying concept of chivalry in it's last death-throes. Or perhaps it's to do with the stateliness of their bearing as well of the visceral power of their presence. Strangely, the smaller ones that might be inclined to shunt then traditionally took on the masculine pro-noun.. "Here he comes, puffing his little way down the goods siding..".. even though they might be named 'Clarice' or 'Susan' by the whims of the goods-yard shunter who loved his wife, and wished to immortalise her in kinetic glory.

Engines did have female names emblazoned upon nameplates, usually in the forms of aristocratic or mythological names, but they were for the most part in the minority. I can't say that Sir Nigel Gresley would have been too inspired by his LNER public-relations dept forcing a mighty 95 ton 'Pacific' 4-6-2 express loco to be named 'Bridgit' or somesuch.
Kevin R

Postby Elliott » 27 Dec 2013, 22:46

Kevin, your mention that locomotives used to be referred to as "she" reminded me of another PC controversy a year or two ago, when feminists were complaining about ships being referred to as "she". They thought it was sexist. So there was some kind of push to make sailors, engineers etc. refer to ships alternately as "it", "he" as well as "she".

Of course the same thing happens with countries. Even today you can still occasionally hear "Britain and her fleets" and "France with her fine wines" etc.
Elliott

Postby Jonathan » 28 Dec 2013, 20:39

This type of meddling with children's books may seem silly, but the cumulative effects are far from harmless. I got a few Thomas books for my 3-year-old son, and one of them gave me pause. The name slips my mind, but what matters is the plot, if you will bear with me -

An airport is to be built on Sodor Island, but unexplained animosity between the diesel and steam engines is setting back the work. Damage from a storm makes things worse, and the engines receive a scolding from the taskmaster. That night Thomas has a dream about Lady, a magical steam engine who works with a diesel and always finishes her job on time. The next day Thomas talks to one of his friends who is a diesel, and all the engines meet together and agree to work together. The work is completed on time, and everyone is friends with everyone else.

It's just a children's story, right? Still, it plants the seeds of some ideas which are at the root of multiculturalism.

1) Enmity between groups is based on senseless prejudice.
2) Personal familiarity and outreach is the key to overcoming this prejudice.
3) Once social ties are established, the old suspicion is gone forever and everyone becomes friends.

Now all of these lessons are true, to a certain extent, and they prepare the child for certain challenges in life - say, when a boy from Gryffindor must prepare a potion with a boy from Hufflepuff. The problem is that the counterbalancing stories are absent. Thomas the train never chases away a group of pirates, never mans a trench or a barricade, never goes off to war, never defends his home against implacable enemies, never uncovers treachery, never overcomes a temptation to betray.

The fact that the hero was chosen to be a train engine makes such plots impractical. He's not a mother bear protecting her cubs, he's not a wolf defending his pack - he's a worker ant serving his Queen. Now that I think about it, it's almost insidious.
Jonathan

Postby Charlie » 28 Dec 2013, 21:09

Please excuse my levity, Jonathan. It’s just that, at times, ridicule seems like the best way - indeed the only way, of pointing out the Left’s absurdity.

If/when my other half and I have our own children and wish to read to them, I’m sure we’ll have the sensation as you do.

On a slightly different note, I enjoyed Ed West’s recent article.

The nub of it is that Stella Creasy, feminism and children’s toys should not be mixed:

But as for telling them that boys and girls only like toys because society creates gender stereotypes for them: if you want your daughters to understand science, the last thing you should be doing is teaching them a secular version of creationism in which gender is a social construct.
Charlie

Postby Andrea » 28 Dec 2013, 22:39

Speaking as a woman (which obviously in this day and age means my opinion means more than any of yours! ;) ) this is a load of rubbish.

I used to watch Thomas the Tank Engine often when I was growing up, and I never had any problems with the characters being male. It didn't even occur to me. I didn't want to be a train driver, and, let's be honest, most girls don't want to do that. I'm sick of all of this. If a girl wants to be a train driver, ok, but that we all have to have some female empowered train/driver to be our role models is beyond ridiculous.
Andrea

Postby Gavin » 28 Dec 2013, 22:49

Thomas has a suspiciously light coloured grey face in some of the latest versions, I think... it should be a little blacker, since he is a coal engine? Or then perhaps he would be "blacked up", and that would be really racist.

I'm not so sure about the name "Thomas", either. I think that might be a bit racist in this day and age. I'm thinking "Duwayne"?

I used to love TTT. How dare they fault it?! They shouldn't change it at all and furthermore they should bring back Bagpuss, Button Moon and all those other wonderful (presumably, yes, racist) children's programmes too! Then I'll have an excuse to watch TV again - might even pay the BBC for the licence.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 28 Dec 2013, 23:17

p.s. I just read the actual article. Hard to believe it's true but then you just have to remind yourself the Left are serious - look at what they have done to society already.

She called on train companies recruit more female drivers by advertising in magazines such as Good Housekeeping and Women's Own, and suggested that they need to offer more part time work.

These strange people seem to know nothing of human nature, and they are so bitterly against diversity. They want everyone to be the same. No countries left, no races, no men or women. She-men. Perhaps only when everyone is androgynous and identical will they be happy. Most women are not interested in being train drivers, and if they want to be one they can apply! Great comments under the article, as usual.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Andrea » 28 Dec 2013, 23:26

Gavin wrote:Thomas has a suspiciously light coloured grey face in some of the latest versions, I think...

Yep, it appears that Thomas has turned a whiter shade of grey!

I dread to think what these Left-wing extremists think of my other favourite children's tv show:

Next, they'll call He-Man and She-Ra "promoting Aryan ideology" or some other nonsense.
Andrea

Postby Gavin » 29 Dec 2013, 00:00

He is very blond...
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Paul » 29 Dec 2013, 00:23

Unbelievable almost.

But most normal people, the common folk, know that this sort of stuff is completely bonkers. And yet millions of them will still vote Labour!

TTTE hit the 'big time' here in the UK beginning about 1989 I would say. I remember because it was my son's first 'craze' and he was two or three years old at the time. It used to come on TV every morning with of course Ringo Starr narrating. I've seen enough episodes in my time, along with Sleeping Beauty on VHS (cartoon version), which is probably another sexist and even racist production!

We bought him a little ride-on toy that Xmas that was a scaled down replica of Thomas (and I think it did have a black face) and he was completely over-awed by it. Nobody mentioned sexism of course but, even as far back as 1989, one might not have been entirely surprised that some day in the not too distant future .........

If Thomas is depicted with a black face - carrying coal - this then means that we are equating black people with lowly and difficult jobs. Might as well just say that we admire slavery.

If Thomas has a white face it will only be a matter of time before someone mentions white privelege, Thomas being the star of the show after all. I bet the Fat Controller is white too?

I reckon Jonathan is probably correct in saying there are subliminal lefty messages in the stories. I never thought of that (back then), and admit I never followed the stories (though I knew Sleeping Beauty by heart) nor read any of the books. It's probably in all kids' stories now. Oh dear, how terrible.

I would be like a hawk if I had young kids now and question them about everything they were being told.

I grew up reading Bre'r Rabbit and other Enid Blyton stuff. Famous Five too. I read something else recently where the FF are under attack for being priveleged, and probably racist too. In fact I think the R word was the principle crusade against the FF.

Among the many comments I liked the one that said:

And what about the lack of female Imams, Mary?
Paul

Next

Return to Political Correctness