The Artist

Recommend, or reminisce about, film and television

The Artist

Postby Gavin » 25 Feb 2012, 19:30

If anybody is wondering whether to go and see The Artist, I can confirm it really is excellent. Go for it!

There was immense attention to detail in this fine film (in the soundtrack alone). In my opinion it deserves all the accolades it gets. I wonder further, to put a Dalrymplian note on this, whether it has been especially popular because people have tired of modern society, modern "manners" and indeed the kinds of films usually produced. Anyway, recommended!
Gavin
Site Admin

Re: The Artist

Postby Gavin » 16 Jun 2012, 21:58

A lovely piece of music from this film:

Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Heather » 18 Jun 2012, 17:52

I really enjoyed this film. Good story, and great attention to detail. Thanks for the recommendation!

Several months ago when it was winning awards, I saw that a lot of internet commenters (for whatever that's worth, and probably not very much) said that it was a terrible movie and was proof that Hollywood was a bunch of out-of-touch one-percenters who sat around making irrelevent films like this. Obviously they were either complete idiots or hadn't bothered watching it, because I can't think of anything more relevent to today than a story about a man in an increasingly irrelevent industry who is upstaged and replaced by a young woman that he likes, and then loses everything he owns. She has to deflate her big head a bit (feminism anyone?) and he has to swallow a bit of pride and learn to evolve, otherwise they can never be together. Nearly everyone I know is facing one or more of those problems.

I think that the younger generation is learning that there is some value in good manners, dressing well, and maybe even gender roles (or at least defining your place in relationships). So many of us raised by Baby Boomers and Gen Xers had no good examples to follow in those things. I wish I could take a crash course in How to Be a Lady. I hope that films like this keep coming out, rather than trash like Hangover II and Nacho Libre. We need it, badly.
Heather

Postby Andrea » 18 Jun 2012, 21:41

Hello Heather (and fellow American!),

I loved The Artist as well and I think it is one of the best films I've ever seen. I couldn't agree with you more about the trash that keeps spewing out into the cinemas. I have never been happy with popular culture and so, since I was a young girl, I tried to become a lady. I think I have achieved that at last, but it was hard with such a depraved, loose society with either manly women or bimbos in cinemas to look up to as role models. I wasn't content with this.

I like to be a feminine lady - no swearing, no bad manners and always "please" and "thank you" with a smile on my face. I never wanted to be an airhead, so all of my free time was devoted to study, to self-improvement. I always found that women were so much softer and warmer in the time The Artist was set in than we are allowed to be now. We knew our roles more and were generally more happy than we are now. We have too much freedom and everything is so crazy and mixed up now that neither men nor women now how to react to each other, let alone have a stable relationship together.

Just for fun: Crash course in How to Be a Lady? Simple. Watch Merchant Ivory films, read Mrs Beeton, Miss Manners and any etiquette book you can find from *before* 1960, all of Jane Austen, volunteer (if you have time), have no shame in being feminine, take pride in all the work you do in your home, and you'll be even more of a lady. A lady knows how to muck in and work hard, but washes up to be very presentable. :)
Andrea

Postby Heather » 18 Jun 2012, 23:33

Thanks for the recommendations, Andrea!
Heather

Return to Film & Television