Who Dares Wins

Recommend, or reminisce about, film and television

Who Dares Wins

Postby Gavin » 22 Jun 2012, 16:45

In the 1980s a film like this could be made. Today, of course, the film would be entirely in favour of the leftie/eco-warrior/whatever terrorists (especially if funded by the BBC). So it's great to re-watch this.

The film does have a backstory of the "institution" bankrolling the terrorists, but at least short thrift is given to them by the security services. It was made very soon after the Iranian Embassy Siege when Britain's pride in its security services and especially the SAS skyrocketed.
Gavin
Site Admin

Re: Who Dares Wins

Postby Gavin » 22 Jun 2012, 17:05

This is supposed to be off-topic but I'm on topic again when I say:

The only surviving hostage taker in the siege, Fowzi Nejad, was sentenced to life imprisonment. Therefore, of course, he was released at the age of 51 and - you guessed it - could not be deported and now lives his life on benefits here in the UK! I'm not making it up!

He was lucky to survive at all, actually. It is thought that the only reason he was not shot by the SAS is that they already had him outside the building and realised they were on camera.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 23 Dec 2012, 17:13

I watched another couple of films about notorious far left terrorists recently actually, those being The Baader Meinhof Complex and One Day in September.

I found both extremely thought-provoking - in fact I took notes. I don't really have time to write them up at the moment though - perhaps some time in the future.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 28 Nov 2013, 13:51

With the sad news today of Lewis Collins' death, a good time to watch his portrayal of an SAS soldier putting a load of lefty terrorists in their place, above.
Gavin
Site Admin

Return to Film & Television