Come And See (1985)

Recommend, or reminisce about, film and television

Come And See (1985)

Postby Michael » 08 Aug 2012, 18:14

This is a trailer for the 1985 Russian war film "Come and See" (Idi i Smotri). It is hands down the most harrowing and disturbing motion picture I have ever seen, portraying with gripping realism the horrors of the Eastern Front in the Second World War. It is also one of the most noteworthy films of the Glasnost period, when censorship on Mosfilm was dropped and directors could start making honest films about Russian life. Klimov, the film's director, chose the war in Belorussia as his topic, depicting it for the first time without jingoism or inflated patriotism. Instead, his film is about the horrors of war seen through the eyes of a young boy who runs off to join the partisans. The events he experiences along the way cause him to venture in and out of surreal hallucinations, till in the end he is thrust back into undeniable reality as he witnesses a village being systematically destroyed by the Wehrmacht.

After telling you how disturbing the film is it may seem odd that I recommend it, but I do, very highly. It is an unforgettably powerful film about the effects of war. I would not in any way call it pacifist or anti-war, more an excellent portrayal of what a force of almost unimaginable barbarism the Russian people had to fight against.
Michael

Return to Film & Television