Taken 2

Recommend, or reminisce about, film and television

Taken 2

Postby Gavin » 10 Oct 2012, 22:21

I saw this film today and thought it was great. It's just a Hollywood action film but I thought it was gripping, just as good as the original, and it was very un-PC as far as such films go!

Mr Neeson has to deal out justice for a second time. Not entirely implausible actually since one fact often passed over in films is that when people are killed, other people are bereaved and are unlikely to be too happy about it.

There are some spectacular chase sequences, Neeson's character is an all-round good guy and a pragmatic man, certainly not some kind of head-in-clouds liberal or pacifist. The film-makers dare to make the bad guys Albanian Muslims in Istanbul and they do not go to any effort to whitewash Islam.

A good action film, tense, thrilling, as I say amazingly un-PC for Hollywood, this was directed by Oliver Megaton and written by Luc Besson.
Gavin
Site Admin

Re: Taken 2

Postby Caleb » 15 Oct 2012, 07:04

I saw it the other day. I liked it, but I liked the first a lot more. The first seemed that much more tense. The second seemed to lack the same sort of urgency. I also thought the fact that he got help in the second one (and who it was from) detracted from the film.

Also, Rade Serbedzija gets on my nerves. He's basically the go-to guy for an Eastern European crime lord, but he seems to paint entirely by numbers when playing such roles. You could pretty much switch him around in 90% of his movies and not even notice the difference.

To be honest, if there's a Taken 3 (which I'm almost certain there will be), I think they'll need to really lift their game or the whole thing could just become milking the same thing over and over again. Hollywood tends to do that though.
Caleb

Postby Gavin » 15 Oct 2012, 09:04

Yes, I have heard that said in several reviews but I thought this one was as tense as the first, really! I agree there will be a Taken 3 - and it could potentially be quite different. Whether they will do that though, as you say, we will see.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Caleb » 16 Oct 2012, 01:00

Really, you thought the first and second were equally intense? On a nail biting scale, the first was down to my elbow. For the second, I perhaps got through the fingers on one hand. Take the two scenes where people are coming for his daughter in each movie. In the first one, that scene was absolutely terrifying. Not so in the second.

The only part of the second movie that I thought was better was the minor plot involving bonding. I thought the driving lessons were better in and of themselves, not to mention useful later in the movie, than her wanting to be a singer in the first. What was up with Holly Valance being in the first movie?
Caleb

Postby Gavin » 16 Oct 2012, 08:18

Take the two scenes where people are coming for his daughter in each movie. In the first one, that scene was absolutely terrifying. Not so in the second.

Yes, I was glad they didn't effectively repeat that scene actually, but instead saved the tension for other parts of this film! I just thought it kept the tempo up well and was an enjoyable thriller, and like I said, relatively un-PC.

I think I can see how the third one might go, namely with having the slightly annoying boyfriend character being "taken". Well, we can hope! :P
Gavin
Site Admin

Return to Film & Television