Film: "Went the Day Well?" (1942)

Recommend, or reminisce about, film and television

Film: "Went the Day Well?" (1942)

Postby Nathan » 31 Dec 2012, 13:35

This wartime thriller based on the story of English villagers fighting back against a stealth attack by Nazi paratroopers was shown on Channel 4 a few weeks ago. It was made as a propaganda film and this ought to be taken into account, but aside from being a gripping story it shows very well the timeless qualities, real or imagined, of an idyllic British village life with its church, close-knit community and the sheer resiliance of a united people who knew deep down who they were and what they stood for.

I love most black and white films for the dignity and gentleness of the people shown in them. Yes, this was meant as propaganda, but it shows people with common decency as is shown in their dress, their diction, and the unspoken belief shared by all that certain things are 'just not done'. There are also two quotes with a particular historical resonance - including the title - which clearly would have meant something to the people watching it at the time but which passed me by until I looked them up, which shows how much deeper the sense of heritage ran back then. If you can watch this without thinking about shuddering at the thought of what an equivalent film set in the present day would be like then I highly recommend it!
Nathan

Re: Film: "Went the Day Well?" (1942)

Postby Maxwell » 31 Dec 2012, 16:11

Seconded. This is one of my wife's favourite films.
Maxwell

Return to Film & Television