Film: The Phantom Carriage (and Happy New Year!)

Recommend, or reminisce about, film and television

Film: The Phantom Carriage (and Happy New Year!)

Postby Heather » 31 Dec 2012, 23:25

For Christmas I received The Phantom Carriage, a silent film from 1921. The person who dies at the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve is compelled to drive Death's carriage and harvest the souls of the damned for the next year. It's an excellent and very moving tale of remorse, sacrifice, and redemption. I'm always amazed by how silent films can tell such poignant stories with so few words.

Here's a short clip from The Criterion Collection's version (this is the version I own, and I prefer the musical arrangement).

And here is the first third of the film, but I believe the music is different:

My favorite line, paraphrased (my apologies; I don't have time right now to search for it), was this: "You know, if I could tell humanity just one thing, it would be this, a New Year's prayer: I pray that my soul comes to maturity, before it is reaped."

Happy New Year, everyone!
Heather

Re: Film: The Phantom Carriage (and Happy New Year!)

Postby Gavin » 31 Dec 2012, 23:47

What an unusual, interesting looking film. Thanks for posting... and Happy New Year to everyone!
Gavin
Site Admin

Return to Film & Television