The Wicker Man (2006)

Recommend, or reminisce about, film and television

The Wicker Man (2006)

Postby Caleb » 22 Apr 2013, 12:52

I watched The Wicker Man the other day. Frankly, I'm not even sure what to write about it as it is perhaps the most absurd movie I've ever seen.

The plot (which contains gaping holes) is basically that Nicolas Cage goes to a neo-pagan community on an island to investigate the disappearance of a girl. It gets weirder and weirder from there. Holding a woman in an animal mask up at gun point to steal her bicycle, several fist fights with women, chasing children in animal masks, bizarre hallucinations -- they're all in there. Then there's the last twenty minutes with the infamous bear and bees scenes. The last twenty minutes have to be watched to be believed.

It's apparently a remake of a film from the seventies (and several people online seem to believe the remake is a parody of the first). The rating on imdb.com is 3.6 out of 10. People seem to either think it's one of the worst movies ever made, or one of the (unintentionally) funniest. Nicolas Cage is either truly an awful actor or an absolute comic genius. I'm not really sure what to think. I'm still mulling this one over. It made no sense at all and the whole thing was like a bad dream, yet I couldn't stop laughing out loud. It's hard to believe that anyone could actually make a movie that bad without it being tongue in cheek.

Has anyone seen this movie?
Caleb

Re: The Wicker Man (2006)

Postby Gavin » 22 Apr 2013, 14:23

I haven't seen this version but have seen the original with Edward Woodward. It's considered a "cult classic" but comes across as very dated to me now. I mean lots of pullovers (jumpers/jerseys) hippie type music, that kind of thing. Woodward's is a likeable character though - a decent policeman speaking the kind of good English that would still often be heard during the seventies.

Ultimately a weird film though, I thought, about mystical cult type stuff. One of a number from that period though, including Rosemary's Baby, which I found very chilling - a film all about paranoia and not one to be watched by pregnant women!

I don't think Nicholas Cage is a particularly good actor. I'm amazed at how many roles he gets, actually. Maybe they often think they need someone who has a fixed, concerned look on their face!
Gavin
Site Admin

Return to Film & Television