Roger Scruton books

Do you know of a book we should all read?
About this forum
If there is a relevant book you would like to suggest that forum members read together please private message Gavin who will create a subforum for it. Thereafter you're free to create your own introduction (in which you might suggest target dates), topics for each chapter and anything else.

Roger Scruton books

Postby Andrea » 05 Sep 2016, 23:16

Hi everyone. I am currently reading (and enjoying) Scruton's How to be a Conservative. I found myself agreeing to most things he's written - from the difficulty inherent in being a conservative academic to how his parents' generation used to recycle glass bottles and now they (and plastics) are commonly seen on the roadsides. This is the first book that I've read by Scruton, though I've seen bits of his work (particularly his philosophy) quoted by those I most admire. Having only just finished reading A.C. Grayling's most recent book, The Age of Genius (spoiled by his extreme liberalism, in my opinion), this book is a breath of fresh air. Anyway, I thought it was a book in which some of you, if not most, would also be interested.
Andrea

Re: Roger Scruton books

Postby Kevin R » 09 Sep 2016, 16:10

Hello Andrea..

Yes, I read it a while ago now, along with his other books. His lengthy treatise on architecture is very good, and there is a book of essays entitled 'The Politics of Culture' which has some of his earlier work on a variety of topics. His later writing seems to have consolidated into a more sage-like expression, peppered with occasional wry humour so characteristic of him these days, in contrast to his more polemical work in the seventies and early eighties which I find to be the crisper academic style of a man stating his intellectual case. His book on art and aesthetics is a classic of the empirical theory of art. I also often dip into his dictionary of political terms, which I've had for years (the first slightly dog-eared second-hand copy I bought eventually fell to bits due to over-leafing)
Kevin R

Return to Book Club